Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   1995 Honda magna vf750c power issues HELP! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/14683-1995-honda-magna-vf750c-power-issues-help.html)

Jfg75 03-13-2010 10:21 PM

1995 Honda magna vf750c power issues HELP!

I have recently purchased a Honda magna 750. It had been sitting up for a few years. I put a new battery, plugs, wires, changed oil, and put fresh gas in the tank. It's idling well but when throttled up or ridden it loses power and seems to bog down. This happens usually over 2000 rpm. I think it's running rich because it's smoking out the tail pipes. Could it be running so rich that it's causing it to loose power? What is the best solution for the problem? I love this bike any help would be great!

seruzawa 03-14-2010 05:38 AM

Make sure that the mixture enrichening lever on the carb end of the choke cable is completely closed as the engine warms. If this lever is even slightly open it will cause the bike to run very rich. I had to use a rubber band to ensure it closed completely on my '84 Magna.

Remove and clean the carbs. Inspect for cracked boots. Check the float level and make sure the needle valves are seating properly. It will take you half a day just to remove the carbs as the Magna is the most difficult bike to work on I have ever owned in 41 years of riding.

Better replace the fuel filter while you are at it. You have to remove the rear wheel to get at it.

You will need a manual to do this job. The Clymer manual is pretty decent and not too expensive.

Kenneth_Moore 03-14-2010 05:46 AM

If it's not the carbs, you may have stuck rings that are allowing oil to pass into the combustion chamber when the motor warms up and the cylinder expands. No easy fix there, sorry to say. Get a compression tester and see what it reads when it's hot. Compare it to the factory spec.

Jfg75 03-14-2010 12:01 PM

We'll to add to my question... When I got the bike it had been sitting up so I poured marvel mystery oil into each cylinder and let it soak a little while to try to help with lubrication. Could this be what is causing the problem? Could it be that the marvel oil just needs to burn out?

seruzawa 03-14-2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jfg75 (Post 236873)
We'll to add to my question... When I got the bike it had been sitting up so I poured marvel mystery oil into each cylinder and let it soak a little while to try to help with lubrication. Could this be what is causing the problem? Could it be that the marvel oil just needs to burn out?

Possible but oil smoke is normally blue. Maybe the oil fowled the plugs. Pull the plugs and see if they are oil fowled. If so clean or replace them and try again.

Jfg75 03-14-2010 01:59 PM

Jfg75 03-14-2010 02:18 PM

Thanks for the help. Hopefully it's just the oil I had poured in and some of the bad gas and some of the the crap that is built up from sitting so long. The bike cranks first turn and idles strong. And my first ride on the bike it ran pretty well but I let it sit and run about five minutes and then took it for a spin and it started acting up again. So I'm hoping the rings are good and still has compression.