Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 02-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Battery Life Expectancy

On my old Honda Nighthawk, my battery would last about two years, then it would die. I have had my Buell now for about two and a half years now and I think the battery is dying. It's slower to start than usual (it usually is slow to start in the winter). I keep it on a charger pretty much any time I don't ride for more that 5 days. My questions are:

What is your average battery life on your bikes?

Is two years about the best I can expect from a motorcycle battery?

Just wondering, because any car batteries I've every had have lasted 5 years or more.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default 6 years

I currently have a 6 year old BMW that has the original OEM gel battery. I do use a battery tender and feel that that has contributed to its longevity. The Hondas I have had did not seem to last more than a few years at best. It may be that battery technology has progressed to the point that they are now lasting longer. Or possibly I have just been lucky.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
A Star Ride
Registered Member

My vulcan I had 14 years and put a battery in after 7 or 8 years and had to replace it again the year I let it go (last year). Most its life it was in a wood floor shed, and after that an unheated garage. I never used a charger & only had a dead battery when key left on, never dead from sitting. 2 years I'd say is unacceptable.

Last edited by A Star Ride : 02-26-2010 at 09:40 PM.
A Star Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

I usually get a maintenance free Yuasa and they usually last 4-5 years.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:59 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Depends on the bike. The Low Rider killed even the best batteries in a year or 18 months with heat and vibration. The Concours battery was 10 years old when I bought it, and still going strong two years later when I sold it.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
clockdaddy
Registered Member

My '03 Intruder 1500 still has the OEM battery BUT it's gotten weak and I just got in a new battery. I do use a battery tender through the winter which I feel has made a difference in the longivity of the battery.

CD
clockdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockdaddy View Post
My '03 Intruder 1500 still has the OEM battery BUT it's gotten weak and I just got in a new battery. I do use a battery tender through the winter which I feel has made a difference in the longivity of the battery.

CD
Battery tenders are the best insurance against headaches since the invention of divorce. Hook it up.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Two years seems kinda` short. Mine seem to go 3 or 4 years at least, but my bikes don't sit for longer than a week and I do a lot of freeway riding that keeps them charged up.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Two years seems kinda` short. Mine seem to go 3 or 4 years at least, but my bikes don't sit for longer than a week and I do a lot of freeway riding that keeps them charged up.
Thank to all for their input!

Maybe it's just this darn cold weather we've been having here. I do ride all year long (normally). Our typical high temp in January is usually about 45 degrees. This Jan, it was more like 35. I guess I'll wait to see how she does once the weather warms up. If she's still slow to start then, then I'll just get a new one.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

Buell charging systems are not known for their longevity or efficiency. And, the motors are hard to crank. Add the heat and vibration, and the battery will not last long.

A car battery has a much easier life, and a LOT more lead. Therefore they last longer. Although you don't need to worry about one of the kids leaving a door ajar or a reading lamp turned on with a bike.

The m/c battery has very high cranking amperage for its (relatively) small size. That means very thin plates, and a lot of surface area.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote