Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 02-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
paolohn
Registered Member

Default Do custom pipes actually IMPROVE motorcycle performance?

I was looking for new pipes for my baby [Yamaha XVS650] when I came across this website that had two different sets of pipes, drag pipes and a slashcut one. One "improved bike performance" and the other one "woke up your neighbors" so I naturally I felt compelled to ask this question. How can customs pipes "improve" bike performance? Is it possible?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
MOKE1K
Registered Member

It helps throttle response and gives a little more power throughout the rpm range. But you must install a jetkit into the carb along with the exhaust.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
paolohn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
But you must install a jetkit into the carb along with the exhaust.
So it's never just the pipes then? Why is this?
Old 02-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
MOKE1K
Registered Member

If your exhaust flows more (less restricted) you need to flow more fuel. A jetkit consist of bigger inlets(jets) for the fuel, different needles that are sometimes adjustable all letting in more fuel. Never ever remove the baffling from the exhaust either, you'll lose power.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

If you have a restrictive exhaust system it is possible to get an increase by putting on a less restrictive exhaust. These can be very loud. There are also some pipes that reduce restriction and still control noise. The rub can be that the fuel system is designed to flow fuel at a certain rate designed around the stock system. Putting on a free flowing pipe can lean the mixture to the point where you actually lose power over stock. You could even burn exhaust valves. You often hear these guys riding along and backfiring like a .38 special. As Moke said if you are putting on a freer system you need to install a jet kit.

You must also remember that many people are dishonest and will make claims about their systems that are not true. You might join some cruiser web sites and find out what other people have done. Don't trust "seat of the pants" testimonials too much. I've lost count of people who modified their bikes and created a nightmare. Or who claimed that their bike ran better when actually it was slower. Self-deception is often a factor when people mod their bike.

Dynajet seems to have some reputable jet kits. Holeshot is another, but they don't mess with cruisers much. Whatever you do save the original parts and settings so that if you mess it up you can return to stock and start over. Good luck.