Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #61
MOKE1K
Registered Member
 
MOKE1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kalapana, Big Island
Posts: 3,994
Default

Did you read my earlier statment in this thread about me warning this guy about going to a bigger tire? Seriously was it a missunderstanding, probably on my part no doubt? Was it,... I thought you were arguing against using a skinnier tire, which I use.
__________________
"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"

Last edited by MOKE1K : 02-11-2010 at 04:43 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #62
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

"There is no way in hell that anyone can make the case that doing that is better than putting on the size tire that the manufacturer recommends."

And there is no way anyone can make a case it will be worse. I've changed tire sizes and brands on just about every motorcycle I have ever owned, which is quite a few, and I'm somehow still alive to talk about it. It isn't that big a deal, and people that have never made a motorcycle modification in their life ought to stay out of the discussion if the most daring thing they ever did was change their oil.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #63
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"There is no way in hell that anyone can make the case that doing that is better than putting on the size tire that the manufacturer recommends."

And there is no way anyone can make a case it will be worse. I've changed tire sizes and brands on just about every motorcycle I have ever owned, which is quite a few, and I'm somehow still alive to talk about it. It isn't that big a deal, and people that have never made a motorcycle modification in their life ought to stay out of the discussion if the most daring thing they ever did was change their oil.
I went with a wider tire once. Does that count?
__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #64
MOKE1K
Registered Member
 
MOKE1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kalapana, Big Island
Posts: 3,994
Default

Pully I read your little article finally, you must have been skim reading this thread look back a couple pages cause I already stated what your article said. Its been a know fact in my head since 1993 way before this article?????

It depends on what your doing with the bike, what type of riding you like to do. Iv warned literally hundreds of customers about mounting wider tires for years. Similar to LR earlier statment I to have changed countless tires on customers bikes for years from FL to Hawaii. This has nothing to do with racing persay but common sence. Jezz you run me ragged Dr.
__________________
"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #65
MOKE1K
Registered Member
 
MOKE1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kalapana, Big Island
Posts: 3,994
Default

Now back to the rear tire coming off the ground,......JUST KIDDING!!!
__________________
"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #66
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I went with a wider tire once. Does that count?
I swear you clowns are making this into f*cking rocket science. It isn't. People change tire sizes, wheel sizes, handlebars, rake, forks, brakes, shocks, and all kinds of other things in a quest to find what is right for THEM on THIER BIKE. If Chicken Little is going to scream the sky is falling just because of a tire change, that person really knows very little about tires and motorcycles. I think you clowns need to take the Buick to work tomorrow. Motorcycles are too dangerous. Sheesh.
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #67
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member
 
Dr_Sprocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Delmarva Peninsula
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I swear you clowns are making this into f*cking rocket science. It isn't. People change tire sizes, wheel sizes, handlebars, rake, forks, brakes, shocks, and all kinds of other things in a quest to find what is right for THEM on THIER BIKE. If Chicken Little is going to scream the sky is falling just because of a tire change, that person really knows very little about tires and motorcycles. I think you clowns need to take the Buick to work tomorrow. Motorcycles are too dangerous. Sheesh.
I'm coming out your way this summer. Maybe I need to buy you a beer, instead.
__________________
"Aid to the helpless indigent is civilized. Aid to the irresponsible is socially corrosive." ----- Schizuki (c. 2011)
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #68
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I went with a wider tire once. Does that count?
My Mother slapped me, once...... ONCE........
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #69
MOKE1K
Registered Member
 
MOKE1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kalapana, Big Island
Posts: 3,994
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I swear you clowns are making this into f*cking rocket science. It isn't. People change tire sizes, wheel sizes, handlebars, rake, forks, brakes, shocks, and all kinds of other things in a quest to find what is right for THEM on THIER BIKE. If Chicken Little is going to scream the sky is falling just because of a tire change, that person really knows very little about tires and motorcycles. I think you clowns need to take the Buick to work tomorrow. Motorcycles are too dangerous. Sheesh.
He's into details,...
__________________
"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:24 AM   #70
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
I'm coming out your way this summer. Maybe I need to buy you a beer, instead.
Only if you keep the original beer in the original bottle, otherwise we both might die!
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off