Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 02-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #41
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Like youve said and I'v said repeatedly in this thread, it must clear the swingarm, fender etc...No matter how much hp it has.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 02-07-2010 at 09:00 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #42
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Like youve said and I'v said repeatedly in this thread, it must clear the swingarm, fender etc...No matter how much hp it has.
AND the caliper. Just ask Snarli.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #43
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Interesting article on going one size up...

On the Buell discussion board, there is an active thread on this very topic (180 vs. 190) tire. Someone posted this article on sizing up on the same bike. Check out the embedded pics of the tire profile. Interesting stuff. Maybe the engineers really know what they are doing after all.

Choosing the right tire size for your motorcycle rims - Sport Rider
Old 02-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #44
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
On the Buell discussion board, there is an active thread on this very topic (180 vs. 190) tire. Someone posted this article on sizing up on the same bike. Check out the embedded pics of the tire profile. Interesting stuff. Maybe the engineers really know what they are doing after all.

There is nothing wrong with going up or down one or two sizes Pulley. The Sport Rider article talks about cramming a 190 on a rim made for a 160. Different story there. There are aftermarket wheels that let people do that kind of stuff too, but careful measurements must be taken before hnd to be sure clearance is good.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #45
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:

Good post. From the article:

"Tire engineers work hard to design and match front and rear profiles for characteristics that we sometimes take for granted. Upsetting that balance is surprisingly easy and you should think twice before sacrificing your tire's performance for appearance's sake."

Or for the sake of "saving money."
Old 02-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #46
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post

"Tire engineers work hard to design and match front and rear profiles for characteristics that we sometimes take for granted. Upsetting that balance is surprisingly easy and you should think twice before sacrificing your tire's performance for appearance's sake."

In other words, 'Please buy our tires because we supposedly worked so hard on everything'. Just another marketing ploy. It's just like oil. Everyone has their favorite and it's all the same.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #47
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:

Didn't read the article but 180 when it calls for a 190 turns much quicker. It also affords you a bigger contact patch when leaned over.
Do you still disagree that rear tires off the Tarmac when entering a corner is not nomal?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #48
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post

Sounds like a ploy from the tire manufactures to me. When you drift the rear tire on a track entering a corner at over 90mph with a metzler on the front and a dunlop on the rear, you tend to listen to your experience instead of an add and propaganda.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 02-10-2010 at 10:48 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:45 AM   #49
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Didn't read the article but 180 when it calls for a 190 turns much quicker. It also affords you a bigger contact patch when leaned over.
Do you still disagree that rear tires off the Tarmac when entering a corner is not nomal?
Did YOU read the article? Yes, it said the tire turns in quicker, but it also said it makes side-to-side transitions less predictable. From the article:

"At higher lean angles, performance was less affected, although making transitions from side to side was unpredictable."

Would you really want a tire that makes it more difficult or less predictable to switch from side-to-side, if you were in an environment that requires you to switch from side-to-side quite often? I'm just saying.

I NEVER said the tires off the tarmac weren't normal. What I did say was that it was not intentional. You implied that it was done intentionally to go faster. That's just bunk! It only happens (during a race) by mistake. If it did make you go around faster, then everyone would be doing it all the time.

Last edited by Dr_Sprocket : 02-11-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:00 AM   #50
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Did YOU read the article? Yes, it said the tire turns in quicker, but it also said it makes side-to-side transitions less predictable. From the article:

"At higher lean angles, performance was less affected, although making transitions from side to side was unpredictable."

Would you really want a tire that makes it more difficult or less predictable to switch from side-to-side, if you were in an environment that requires you to switch from side-to-side quite often? I'm just saying.

I NEVER said the tires off the tarmac weren't normal. What I did say was that it was not intentional. You implied that it was done intentionally to go faster. That's just bunk! It only happens (during a race) by mistake. If it did make you go around faster, then everyone would be doing it all the time.
Dr Pulley wins round 1! Yes. it was Adolf Hitler. But it sounded like it could be any leftwing politician didn't it?