Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 02-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #11
MOKE1K
Registered Member

One thing to mention is the fatter tire will not work in corners better, but worse. At that point it can only be for looks if thats what the rider is after. I'v never had a problem even racing with a mixed matched pair of tires. To each his own.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
One thing to mention is the fatter tire will not work in corners better, but worse. At that point it can only be for looks if thats what the rider is after. I'v never had a problem even racing with a mixed matched pair of tires. To each his own.
The fatter tire won't heat up, will be hard to get to fit the rim during installation and thus can cause damage to the rim, and could easily have clearance issues.

IMO; it's not about liability, it's about engineering. Honda and other bike makers spend huge amounts of time and money engineering a bike as an integrated whole. This is especially true with high-performance bikes. Tire testing alone is an enormous investment. Can a different size be installed and made to work? Probably. Is the risk worth the price of a tire? No way.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 02-07-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
The fatter tire won't heat up, will be hard to get to fit the rim during installation and thus can cause damage to the rim, and could easily have clearance issues.

IMO; it's not about liability, it's about engineering. Honda and other bike makers spend huge amounts of time and money engineering a bike as an integrated whole. This is especially true with high-performance bikes. Tire testing alone is an enormous investment. Can a different size be installed and made to work? Probably. Is the risk worth the price of a tire? No way.
I remember reading an article a bunch of years back that was trying to determine the optimal tire width. If my recollection serves me right, it was either the 170 or 180 that was faster than the 190. I wonder which tire width, given the same compound and tread, would yield the fastest lap times (140-190). Does anyone remember that article?
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #14
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post

Christ, Ken! We're talkin' less than a centimeter of tread width here - it's not like he's tryin' to shoehorn a F'n 230 on there! It'll be OK - I promise!

Guys put 150s on the dinky 3.5" rims on their Ninja 500s every day. The additional inch of the '88 CBR1000 shouldn't be too much of a problem..............

(and I don't think the ~152hp will have problems "heating up" a 150 - or hazing it into smoke with a flick of the right wrist, for that matter)

Engineering has come a few steps since '88 too - there weren't exactly a shyteload of choices to put on the back of that bike back in '85 when Honda started working on it. There weren't even radial tires available then - if you go by that thinking, putting a radial on the bike will cause it to burst into flames, and him suffer a fiery death the first time he crosses the speed-limit or accelerates "briskly" in a school zone!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 02-06-2010 at 11:44 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #15
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Ahem... well since you asked.....I personally wouldn't do it, as Ken said bikes are designed as a package as far as frame geometry, tire size and suspension settings to get the best out of the bike as a whole. If it was me I'd try to find a tire maker who offered a front and rear matched set in the correct size.

However, one size up or down should fit and probably won't make that much difference in typical street riding, it'll just make the bike handle differently. Mis matching tire brands isn't really a good idea because of compound and tread design differences and you definately don't want to mix bias ply and radial tires or put bias tires on radial rims or vice versa. Like I said I wouldn't do it, mainly because I'm anal about tires and pressures and the like. you'll probably survive.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #16
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I'm curious if everyone is as passionate about exhaust also? I'm a believer in the engineers that designed it know whats best, but exhaust systems are probably the leading first modification. Although some design ideas are due to US law or emissions regulations, but I still like to trust the engineers' decisions.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
The funny thing is that it is quite common to go up or down one or two sizes in bicycle tires. Riders do this intentionally to change the handling characteristics of the bicycles. I don't know why it's not as common in motorcycling. Fear of litigation?

I'd love to hear what the old salts (Seru, Sarnali, LR) have to say about this.

Going up a size or two will change the handling, but it isn't dangerous. Wider tires are slower to turn in and will want to stand up easier. Other than that, there really isn't a huge difference. I think the reason most people don't change tire sizes is that they just go with what is on there and stick with it.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #18
speedboy98178
Registered Member

Thanks All! I appreciate each response. after I get them both mounted I'll let you know how the Hurricane behaved with the new radial rubber.
speedboy98178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:05 AM   #19
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Info on tire types from the Ninja 250 Riders page:

Tires 101: An Introduction - Ninja250Wiki

It gives a concise description of the difference between tire types and sizes.
Dr_Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #20
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Christ, Ken! We're talkin' less than a centimeter of tread width here - it's not like he's tryin' to shoehorn a F'n 230 on there! It'll be OK - I promise!
!
Good grief...we've degenerated into talking about....motorcycles. What is wrong with this site?

Hey, the guy can probably get away with a minor variation in tire size.

Obigatory Cautionary Anecdote:
My friend Billy put an oversize rear on his Sportster. It looked fine, thought all was good. We went out for a ride; he got a few miles up I-95 and it blew out. As near as we could figure out, it fit ok until the wheel speed was high enough to "sling" the tire a bit bigger, where it got into the fender bolts. Luckily he didn't dump the bike or anything, but the tire shreds did ding the crap out of his rear fender.