Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 02-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
dad1983
Registered Member

Default 1976 gt500

I bought this bike from an older gentleman for twenty five bucks. He was the original owner who purchased in 76 while enlisted in the military. He parked it twelve years ago do to the fact of feeling like he was not capable of riding safely anymore. Its a hundred percent original and came with the original title and tool kit. The problem is after sitting that long everything is locked up. I put some marvil mystery oil in the cyclinders a couple days ago and am going to wake a week or so before trying turn the motor over. The fuel lines are going to have to be replaced and the tank cleaned thouroughly. My question is where would the best place to buy or can i even buy any new carbs for this bike. Also the battery is missing and i cant seem to find any terminals in battery department. All there is, is a plug like device which is male and female side by side. Is there something else i should be looking for? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
dad1983 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Ebay. Good Luck finding carbs for that exact model. Try Carburetor Parts Warehouse or googling for parts.

That's called an "SAE Connector", he probably used it for an electric vest or battery tender. Keep digging, the battery connections are in there somewhere - they'll probably be just a small ring-connector.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
dad1983
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Just thought i would buy new carbs but if i cant maybe i can get a carb kit for it. I'll go back to the garage and dig some more for the terminals. Hope there in there some where. Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
12er
Founding Member

Give them a good cleaning first, especially if you plan on tossing them anyway. May have to make some float bowl gaskets out of cork but still cheaper solution if you get them going. May need to bend the float tab a little if it had been sitting that long with fuel in it.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

So the pistons are seized? No amout of MMO will cure rusted ring grooves etched into steel liners. Might have to pull that top-end apart...it was stored with oil in it, right? If not, run away.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
dad1983
Registered Member

Yes it was stored with oil in it. The pistons are siezed. I havn't had time to pull the carbs off yet. I'm kinda new to all this but am willing to take any advice i can get. I went out and looked for the battery terminals again and there not there. I'm gonna call the guy tomorrow and pick his brain a little. Its just a cool bike and would love to get it running. I'll let you guys know what i find out. Thanks again for all the replys.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I'm curious if there's a solution (parts washer maybe) to soak or submerge carbs in to strip them of hardened fuel & other yuck they're prone to.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
I'm curious if there's a solution (parts washer maybe) to soak or submerge carbs in to strip them of hardened fuel & other yuck they're prone to.
Yes, you can buy a bucket full of carb cleaner; they come with a "french-fry" basket to hold your parts. But it's expensive as heck; not worth it for just 2 carbs. I cleaned my 72 Yamaha carbs to glimmering perfection with 4 cans of Gumout cleaner and a bronze toothbrush. You'll be amazed at how well they'll clean up.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Yes, you can buy a bucket full of carb cleaner; they come with a "french-fry" basket to hold your parts. But it's expensive as heck; not worth it for just 2 carbs. I cleaned my 72 Yamaha carbs to glimmering perfection with 4 cans of Gumout cleaner and a bronze toothbrush. You'll be amazed at how well they'll clean up.
Don't forget some form of eye-protection! That stuff hurts like shyte!

If you spray-into a passage, and it doesn't come out of another - there's a clog in there somewhere.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

I had the same problem with a CB125 that sat 5 years in a shed. I had to pull the head and pound the piston loose. Then it needed a light hone and new rings. The GT500 should be easier since you don't have valves. Just pull the pipes and head and bang away.