Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 01-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
b88185
Registered Member

Default Building a 450cc streetbike, need help...

Hi guys,

I'm an industrial design student, and for my senior thesis project I've decided to design (and build a working prototype of) a 450cc single cylinder street bike.

The current concept is a super-minimal bike that uses the engine as the main structure, with only minimal bodywork and an upright 'streetfighter' type riding position. I think I could get it down to around 250lbs, and with 50 ish hp it will probably be a lot of fun.

I could use a little help with the research portion... I know what I want in a bike but the idea is to design this to appeal to as many people as possible. So, if you could let me know what you would want in a lightweight commuter/backroad type bike that would be great.

I put together a survey with some of the main questions I want answered, but if you have some info or ideas I didn't cover feel free to post here as well. Thanks!

Survey:
Concept.45 Research Survey
b88185 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Well, to make it appeal to the maximum number of people, you should either make the riding position like a Gyno's hotseat with forward pegs and a barcolounger-seat. Or, fold-up the rider like a munky humpin' a futbol and slather the outside in a plastic shell with "Repsol" stickers all-over it.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

We'd like to help you, but that would be cheating, wouldn't it?

WTF, when I was in college we couldn't get away with this lame-o crap.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
We'd like to help you, but that would be cheating, wouldn't it?

WTF, when I was in college we couldn't get away with this lame-o crap.
This is the new information age era, Ken. They allow stealing others' idea.... er, I mean networking... yeah that's it... networking.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

Dude!, Buell tried that with the Blast. Ask him how business is.

Seriously, are you going to build a proprietary motor/tranny, bend the steel, wire the bike, source the electronics, are you going fuel injection or carb, going disc all around?
I've bult one bike from the ground up and it took me nearly two years to complete all the work to my satisfaction. And I bought the motor and tranny for that project. I've ground up restored a XS850- never to be repeated.

If you really build this make sure it's chomoly-steel. Make sure you have your drivetrain bought in advance. Make sure you can source all the parts before you start the build. Make sure to buy stock in Aleve. Make sure you have a reeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyy big sledge hammer and two one ton boulders sitting at the edge of your garage so when you feel like hitting things something's close.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
This is the new information age era, Ken. They allow stealing others' idea.... er, I mean networking... yeah that's it... networking.
In my day, I had to bang my Spanish instructor to get my foreign language credit. Luckily she was a pretty cute grad student, but even so, I DID THE WORK, DAMMIT!
Old 01-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Ken, you EARNED that grade, they lock teahers up for that BS now. Whats the world coming to?