Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   2007 ttr230 clutch specs (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/14192-2007-ttr230-clutch-specs.html)

dbo314 01-22-2010 06:06 PM

2007 ttr230 clutch spces

im in need of the clutch specs for a 2007 ttr230, my bike broke down today out in the trails and im pretty sure it was my clutch, but i need the wear specs for the plates so i can check and make sure i am right about it before i go and spend the money for a new one. i would appreiciate any info, or links that anyone may have on the subject. thanks for reading, hope to hear something soon.

MOKE1K 01-22-2010 08:13 PM

What does the bike do when you release the clutch in first gear? Is it slipping? What are the hours/mileage? Describe the symtoms of your problem.

dbo314 01-23-2010 05:53 AM

it runs but it won't go, i can shift through the gears and i can hear it going into gear, but it just wont go.the clutch seems to do nothing now, i can realse it and the bike dont move it just revs up and sits. wheen i shift without using the clutch i can see the chain jerking forward like its wanting to go. the clutch lever is very tight and has zero slack it was like that when i bought it and never did think to adjust the cable to losen it a little, i really think it burned the clutch up but not sure thats why im wanting specs so i can check before i buy, it never slipped or anything since i have owned the bike the bike has fairly low hours, not sure exactly, i bought it from a dealership, and they said under 500 hours, but you can never trust what they say you know. as far as milage i really have no clue, it had very little visible wear on it when i bought it 3 months ago everything on it is stock. the dealership i bought it from was the original seller of the bike to the previous owner and they have documents for all the maintinence they are a fairly reasonalbe and fair shop so i believe them when they told me the bike was rarely riden.

MOKE1K 01-23-2010 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbo314 (Post 232846)
it runs but it won't go, i can shift through the gears and i can hear it going into gear, but it just wont go.the clutch seems to do nothing now, i can realse it and the bike dont move it just revs up and sits. wheen i shift without using the clutch i can see the chain jerking forward like its wanting to go. the clutch lever is very tight and has zero slack it was like that when i bought it and never did think to adjust the cable to losen it a little, i really think it burned the clutch up but not sure thats why im wanting specs so i can check before i buy, it never slipped or anything since i have owned the bike the bike has fairly low hours, not sure exactly, i bought it from a dealership, and they said under 500 hours, but you can never trust what they say you know. as far as milage i really have no clue, it had very little visible wear on it when i bought it 3 months ago everything on it is stock. the dealership i bought it from was the original seller of the bike to the previous owner and they have documents for all the maintinence they are a fairly reasonalbe and fair shop so i believe them when they told me the bike was rarely riden.

First look and see if there is any adjustability left on the opposite end of the clutch cable, where it enters the motor, if there is adjust it to give the clutch lever free play. Then restart and try again. If not- start opening up the clutch side.

However you still havent elaborated on exactly how and what actually happend, was it all of a sudden that this all occured? Have you let the bike sit?

Once you get everything opened up note exactly how every plate is stacked for reinstallation. Look for discoloration on both the friction plates and the steel plates. Also note any burnt type of oder in both the plates and the oil. Check for damage on where the plates contact the clutch basket. Also check the steel plates for warpage with a flat smooth surface. Check all bearing's in the clutch cover, basket and such. Sounds like your in need of a manual, see if your local dealer will let you copy that section from their service manual. I know I did this countless times for customers in need at my old shop and they sholdn't have a problem with it. Good luck let us know what happens.

dbo314 01-23-2010 08:52 AM

there was nothing going wrong leading up to the point of brake down, i was going up a steep muddy hill, and i was feathering the clutch to keep my momentum, i was basicly spinning the whole time, not much traction, and about halfway up this incline it died. there was no warning of anything malfunctioning, it was just an all of the sudden thing. i had it in 2nd when it died so i held the clutch to restart the bike and as i released the clutch i noticed it was just reving, so i tried switching down to 1st and same thing, so i went through all of the gears and and no change, just reving. thank you very much for all of your input and advice, it is a big help!!!

dbo314 01-23-2010 02:11 PM

ok, i went out there after it has sat for about a day and i started it and put it in first gear and it very slightly started to pull and stopped, so i shut it off and adjusted the cable in both spots and it still has no free play in the lever, but it is working, but it is just not pulling as hard as it should, not even close, it is just barely reving up a little bit as it is catching, but non the less it is still reving and not fully catching. i got all the wear specs for the plates and springs so i guess im just goin to pull it apart and mic the parts to check for wear. im 99% sure the clutch is almost completly burnt up, thatnk you for your help with my problem and i appreiciate any futher info you may have on that bike to help keep me in the trails and out of the garage!!!

A Star Ride 01-23-2010 05:02 PM

Ive never done any real off road riding, but is feathering the clutch to gain traction common practice, v/s reducng throttle (lowering speed). I could imagine after commiting to climb a steep grade, there aint no going back and you do what ya gotta do to get to the top at that point.

dbo314 01-23-2010 05:37 PM

it is much easier to keep the bike from throttling down and boggin out if you feather the clutch, when you are going up a steep hill on dirt, mud or rock what ever the case may be, you need to keep the last thing you want is to break what traction you have, and you run a higher risk of doing so if you drop the throttle or down shift. i rarely leave 2nd gear on the inclines and i feather to keep the sweet spot and keep it moving.

dbo314 01-23-2010 05:41 PM

im not a highly advanced rider by no means im kind of new to two wheels, im used to four, but that is how i was tought by some family and friends who are very experienced. just like everything else i take what im taught and add my own and make it work for me! i highly suggest riding off road more, it is a break from the pavement and there is something for everyone, you can drag, run some circuts through the woods, i love riding the woods

A Star Ride 01-23-2010 06:27 PM

I'm sure it's something I could enjoy given the funds for another bike and time to enjoy it, I'd considered an on off road at one time but stayed with street bikes. It makes sence to use the clutch like you said in those stuations, but obviously decreases life expectncy of it, similar to releasing too slowly under normal operation.