Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 01-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #11
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Riding in the dirt is without a doubt thee best way to not only learn to ride but to become very efficiant at doing so. Imho riding dirt is manditory in recieving a good education on riding as a whole, and by far the one of the most complicated type's of riding.

Something definitley sounds worn. Although the spec's on the free length of the springs and the thickness of the plates are crucial, I don't think it will make a difference either way-just from what youve said,...I think you'll know what's wrong 10min after the cover is off.

If your not getting any free play at the lever and you can't adjust it to get more, than at a minimum you'll need to replace the cable. Just remember that free play at the lever is mandatory, you should always have a nickle's width once the lever is starting to be pulled in, where its not engaging. As you ride more the cable will streach and you'll find that your getting more and more free play, as that happens keep it adjusted at the lever ( should be an adjuster on the lever) to sustain the correct amount of free play at the lever. If this is ignored the life of all of the parts involved will decrease significantly. Let us know what you find, when you get inside.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 01-24-2010 at 09:08 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
dbo314
Registered Member

i finally got the bike apart today, and the fibers are completly destroyed the metals are fine the springs seem fine but the fibers are done for one of them is almost gone the rest are just worn beyond recongnition. thanks for the help and info moke1k
dbo314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:03 AM   #13
MOKE1K
Registered Member

No problem I figured both Plates would be destroyed. Make sure you measure the free lenght of the springs, that besides discoloring is the only way to determine excessive wear. Examine the basket thoroughly and the wear placed from the plates when they hit inside the fingers of the basket. Also check the free play of the basket on the shaft. Is there any blue discoloring on the metal plates? If they are not that bad stagger them when you stack them back in to the clutch housing.

I believe your only problem was no free play at the clutch lever.