Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 01-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Kartorus
Registered Member

Default 03 ZX6R wont start.

Hey guys, I need help.

I recently (about four months ago) bought an 03 ZX6-R 636. It has been running fine every time I rode it. Yesterday was quite cold, naturally I warmed up the bike until it was ready to go, I rode it about six times that day, to work, the store, ECT..., I went out to get it started today and as I press the ignition switch I hear this horrible rattling sound, and the meter screen started to flicker, to make matters worse I managed to leave the bike on for too long and ran out the battery. So my questions to you experts are these:

What on earth happened between yesterday and today to ruin my bike?

And how do I go about removing the battery?
Kartorus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I press the ignition switch I hear this horrible rattling sound
Did the rattling sound occur before or after you ran the battery down? It sounds like the bike never started, is that right? If the battery was low, the sound you heard may have been the starter failing to fully engage due to insufficient voltage. More info would help.

What on earth happened between yesterday and today
Your battery may have been marginal for a while now, and the cold was enough to finish it off. If you never replaced it, it could be 7+ years old by now.

And how do I go about removing the battery?
Don't know your specific model, but 90% of bike batteries are under the seat or behind one of the side covers. Take of the seat and start looking around.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

What Ken says - except the battery may be under the tank, on a supersport. It varies from make to make.

If you replace it rather than charge and give another go - be CERTAIN to use an AGM/spillproof for the replacement. Costs a bit more, but worth it 100x over for avoiding the acid-corrosion headache when it spills/leaks.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Battery died. Get a new one. Find the cheapest one possble, and give it good maintenance, it will last long time sailorboy!