Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   1992 kawasaki ex500 problem (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/13913-1992-kawasaki-ex500-problem.html)

farleypug 12-15-2009 07:12 PM

1992 kawasaki ex500 problem

I just want to thank to anyone who can offer help in advance. I recently purchased a 1992 ex500 that only had 4800 miles and ran like new. I ran it for a while and it had perfect throttle response. It even ran perfect with the airbox off. Well, I took the motor out and put it in a golf cart and have everything hooked back up. It still has the original wiring harness on the motor so I didn't alter that. It will start right up with the choke on and idle fine. As soon as I give it any gas it just stalls out. It will also stall out if I take the choke off. I have wrenched many bikes and the carbs are spotless and every jet is crystal clear. I ended up taking off the gas evaportive system because it would not fit inside the golf cart. Does anyone know if this would effect acceleration? Obviously I will rejet the carbs when I get pod filters on it, but shouldn't it still rev up when the throttle is open? It has perfect spark and compression. Thanks again

mscuddy 12-15-2009 08:40 PM

Hmmm, runs with choke on, but stalls out with choke off when the gas is applied...sounds like the proverbial air leak. When you took the evap can off, it hooked up to the airbox, right? Does it have a vaccum operated petco(k? Any unseen hoses or ports on the intake manifold(s) that are open?

I'd say check the intake manifolds, and the CV carbs for rips in the diaphram that hooked to the carb slide. Also check to see if the slides are opening when you give it gas. Where is the gas tank mounted on the golf cart? If it's at the same height or lower than the carbs, you'll need a fuel pump.

Maybe consult golfcart.com if any of that doesn't help.

pplassm 12-16-2009 06:00 AM

In a golf cart? That should be fun.

If you've checked everything that Cuddy pointed out, and it's still bad, then you're going to have to rejet. Sounds like the pilot jet and needle need to be richer.

Still have the same exhaust hooked up?

farleypug 12-16-2009 06:27 AM

Thanks for the help guys. The evap did have a small vacuum line running to the airbox but I disconnected it and took off the airbox before I removed the engine to make sure it ran fine without it hooked up and it did. The intakes don't seem to have any leaks and there are no open vacuum lines anywhere. I have thought the same thing about being a vacuum leak somewhere but there really aren't any vacuum lines on this motor. When I give it gas, the butterfly valves open up in the carbs but the slides are not moving because the motor stalls before it can build up the vacuum to open them. I have even tried pushing them open as I rev the motor and it still stalls. I also thought about the pilot jets being too small, but the motor ran perfect in the bike and I didn't change anything when put it into the cart. It did have a diaphram style petock but I even ran the motor with just an open gravity fed fuel tank and it ran great. It had 2 seperate exhaust pipes but I ended up making it a 2 into 1 header so I only had 1 tail pipe. Could that be an issue? I wouldn't think so because my other bikes have 2 into 1's and also 4 into 1's. The only thing that I'm thinking it might be is the fuel line coming out of the gas tank is smaller than the one I used when it ran great. I'm going to change that tonight and see what happens but I'm sure it will be the same. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your help. It always helps to pick another brain.

seruzawa 12-16-2009 06:35 AM

If it was running fine in the bike then you have hooked up something incorrectly. There's something you missed. Maybe you need to find a running EX500 to look at to see what you missed.

longride 12-16-2009 06:35 AM

If you have spark, air and compression, then you aren't getting any fuel. How you aren't getting any is what you need to figure out. The only other possibility is the coils are hooked up wrong.

MOKE1K 12-16-2009 06:54 AM

We used to use this really strong carb dip that Napa sells, they have banned it since (eviornmentalist) but it was so strong if you left it in the vat to long it would eat the body of the carb. I would go back through the carb and make positively sure the "body" is clear. A motor only take's a few things to run, dont get it to complicated spark, fuel, compression, timing, ignition.

farleypug 12-16-2009 08:24 AM

Some guy on a golf cart forum used the same exact engine in his and he has pics of it. Everything looks exactly the same. I'm just going to have to take the carbs off again and tear them down for a 4th time. It has to be something simple that I'm missing. As long as it's not the gas evaporative system that I removed, I will figure it out. It seems that I have rebuilt at least 100 sets of carbs and never run into this problem. Thanks again everyone.

The_AirHawk 12-16-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 230159)
We used to use this really strong carb dip that Napa sells, they have banned it since (eviornmentalist) but it was so strong if you left it in the vat to long it would eat the body of the carb. I would go back through the carb and make positively sure the "body" is clear. A motor only take's a few things to run, dont get it to complicated spark, fuel, compression, timing, ignition.

"Soaks" don't really do anything but shine the carbs*. If the passageways aren't clear - no amount of soak will help anything. Spray cleaner is the answer for plugged jets and air-bleeds, and even then usually you have to use a fine copper wire to clear the smallest orifices.

*The exception to the "soak rule" is the use of an Ultrasonic bath - THAT will f'n clean yer colon out REAL dam good! But your typical home-mechanic doesn't have access to one of those. Unless you're Robb Z.

MOKE1K 12-16-2009 08:42 AM

Listen if it eats the body of the carb in a matter of 5hrs, trust me its strong enough. Its what Iv used since 1992. Iv rebuilt customers carbs that swear they were clean. Its the end all to cleaning a carb, when everyone says its clean but they cant get it running and the diagnoses keeps pointing back to the carb. Hell I used to use it too swell up rubber in the float needles when it couldnt be ordered in time. To bad they banned it. Same with the merc carbs sticks, no one sells em anymore.