Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 11-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Default crossed jump cables what now?

hello all, I made a dumb mistake and first killed batery then crossed cables trying to jump now I have nothing but a dead bike stuck 50 miles away (but safe) anyway its a 2005 Yamaha royal star tour deluxe and I dont know what I may have damaged or where to start from here any advice would be appreciated the only sign of any life is the spark when (correctly) connecting cables but no horn dash head or neutral lights. Ive heard about fusable links rectifiers volt regulators and a CDI? I'm petty capable of changing out any part thats bad if I know where it is, but no clue in diagnosing anything electrical. Also the cables were left connected for several minutes before noticing they were hot and smelled plastic, meanwhile I was trying to make sure I was in neutral, etc expecting to start it on a gravel incline Ill check back here or email to A_Star_Rider@comcast.net
A Star Ride is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Jeez, that's bad. Get yourself a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) and start tracing wires from the battery, to the "ignitor" that controls the spark, etc.

I had the grandfather to your bike, a 1980 Yamaha XS1100 Vision, and it had a rats nest of wiring with all the running lights, fairing, bags, etc. so I know how daunting your task will be.

There are fusable links on modern bikes that prevent major damage to the electrical system in a morbid electrical failure, they look like a little rubber cylinder about 1/2 inch long, usually on the hot side of the wiring harness.

Get a good 12volt car battery and connect it to the "hot" side of the soleniod. Then jump the starter soleniod by crossing the two "poles" with a screwdriver, have one of the spark plugs out, see if you're getting any spark.

Also check your fuse box, the reverse-polarity thing might have not blown the fuses, but smoked the wires as they go into the fuse box. I've seen that before on old Kawasakis and Volkwagen beetles.

When the harness smoked on my KZ750 I re-wired it for just the main stuff, ignition, charge circuit, headlight, tail light and turn signals. All I had was 14 gauge black wire, so I pity the poor bastard who has to re-wire the bike...hehhehhe

Good luck. Don't let anybody try to talk you into soaking the bike in warm salt water for a week. Doesn't work (hear that Ken?).
Old 11-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Fusible links are just a "small" section of wire that's designed to melt, saving the harness further-down the line from going away. Basically, a "fuse", only not so easily-replaceable.

Lights, fuses, wires, switches, even the starter-motor - shouldn't care which way current flows through them - HOWEVER, electronic-components such as voltage-regulators, the CDI Ignition, Hall-effect sensors (the crank sensor and/or cam sensor), EFI computer (if FI bike), possibly the fuel pump, anything like electronic trip-computers/fuel gauges, etc. - all of these will not like current running though them the "wrong way".

EFI microprocessors are typically reverse-current diode protected on all their inputs and outputs - but other components on the ECM motherboard will probably NOT have any such protection, so it's possible to have a processor show A-OK connected to a diagnostic machine, but still be a "bad" ECU.

I worked for a shop that had a kid install a battery backward in a Toyota - we replaced every bit of Electronics in the car: ECU, Radio, ABS Computer, Trip Computer, etc.

Serious Suckage. I hope you are far luckier.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

If you tried to jump from a car and had the car's engine running then you are likely to blow stuff even if you hook the cables up correctly. Lucky for you the Royal Star doesn't have all that sophisticated a system like, say, a BMW does. Then you would really really really be hosed. As it is if you get a DVM and start tracing all the wires and checking all the fuses as has been stated you will probably be okay. CDI ignition modules are pretty tough. Don't ask me how I know this. I'm trying to sound like an expert here.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
A Star Ride
Registered Member

thanks for the input it was main engine fuse, I had origionally checked all fuses in the main box and they were OK but there was an alternate loction 30 amper so now after rain riding 40 miles now my truck is down there and I get to go after that YAY and I missed football and the dega race but it was $1.00 repair so I shouldnt complain
Old 11-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
If you tried to jump from a car and had the car's engine running then you are likely to blow stuff even if you hook the cables up correctly. Lucky for you the Royal Star doesn't have all that sophisticated a system like, say, a BMW does. Then you would really really really be hosed. As it is if you get a DVM and start tracing all the wires and checking all the fuses as has been stated you will probably be okay. CDI ignition modules are pretty tough. Don't ask me how I know this. I'm trying to sound like an expert here.
I've jumped several bikes from running vehicles diddnt know there was risk involved. Im notorious for leaving the key in the bike and if I killed the engine with the sidestand, or the thumb switch Im good for walking away & never turning the key to off position
Old 11-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
I've jumped several bikes from running vehicles diddnt know there was risk involved. Im notorious for leaving the key in the bike and if I killed the engine with the sidestand, or the thumb switch Im good for walking away & never turning the key to off position
There are issues involving hooking up a system designed for a 20 amp alternator with an 100 amp alternator. The regulator may not be able to deal with the current potential for one.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:40 AM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Figured it would just be the fuse, but didnt know what you jumped it from, cars are bad to use.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Figured it would just be the fuse, but didnt know what you jumped it from, cars are bad to use.
Correction: a RUNNING car is Bad to use. A 12-volt battery is a 12-volt battery, is a 12-volt battery. It's the Charging System of a car that CAN overload an itty-bitty Voltage Regulator and associated wiring on a bike.

Glad the weak spot happened to be the fuse, in this instance. You were Lucky. Go play the Lotto before it rubs off - I hear a Million-dollars callin' your name..........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
A Star Ride
Registered Member

thanks guys Im not a gamblin man but am apparently on a good luck streak