Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   clutch problem (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/13475-clutch-problem.html)

james george 10-24-2009 07:03 PM

clutch problem

I have a new '09 R1 with 4000 miles , took it to the track and made 2 1/8 mile pass's and fride the clutch. The shop told me it was not made for drag racing, and would not help me with the warranty. I thought this bike was made to take off quick from the the line, no matter if it's road racing or drag racing. The bike don't know the difference. Has anyone else experinced this problem? If so let me know if this is a bike worth keeping...... :confused:

longride 10-25-2009 07:35 AM

"I thought this bike was made to take off quick from the the line, no matter if it's road racing or drag racing. "

'Quick off the line' has really doesn't have much to do with road racing. The R1 is geared very tall and that isn't the best for drag racing, which makes you slip the clutch alot, which then fries the clutch quickly. You would need much shorter gearing to drag race with it well, and your clutches will last longer too, as you won't need to slip them much to get to full throttle with full engagement.

Kenneth_Moore 10-25-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james george (Post 226785)
I thought this bike was made to take off quick from the the line, no matter if it's road racing or drag racing. The bike don't know the difference. Has anyone else experinced this problem? If so let me know if this is a bike worth keeping...... :confused:

As LR said: the bike do know the difference. It's a track or street bike, not a drag bike. If you want to drag get a Busa, Z, VMAX, or something along those lines. If drag racing is why you bought the bike, it's probably not worth keeping unless you're willing to put money in the drive train.

BTW: the next time you go in for warranty service, don't mention that you've been drag racing the bike to the service department.

mscuddy 10-25-2009 06:05 PM

Rev it up to about six grand, lean over the tank and dump the clutch.

Sure way to keep those clutch plates fresh.

Then get some Barnett plates & springs.

longride 10-26-2009 05:07 AM

"BTW: the next time you go in for warranty service, don't mention that you've been drag racing the bike to the service department."

Like they wouldn't figure it out!

Kenneth_Moore 10-26-2009 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 226850)
Like they wouldn't figure it out!

You raise an interesting question: if the dealer has no evidence to indicate "abuse" such as drag racing, is there any way they can legally deny warranty work? There are VStrom guys who ride their bikes through rivers; if the wiring goes due to corrosion is that a fair warranty claim?

Along similar lines: I've heard (but don't know as fact) that manufacturers are putting data gathering modules in their ECU packages. The claim is that they are denying service when they see over-revving etc. I wonder if that's true or just urban legend?

seruzawa 10-26-2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 226853)
You raise an interesting question: if the dealer has no evidence to indicate "abuse" such as drag racing, is there any way they can legally deny warranty work? There are VStrom guys who ride their bikes through rivers; if the wiring goes due to corrosion is that a fair warranty claim?

Along similar lines: I've heard (but don't know as fact) that manufacturers are putting data gathering modules in their ECU packages. The claim is that they are denying service when they see over-revving etc. I wonder if that's true or just urban legend?

Since the V-Strom is sold as a dualie (though only an idiot would think one is more than minimally off road capable) the company may be forced to fix any such issues.

The idea that a race replica can't handle a handful of drag race runs is pretty pathetic, though. Clutch slippage or not.

longride 10-26-2009 08:07 AM

"You raise an interesting question: if the dealer has no evidence to indicate "abuse" such as drag racing, is there any way they can legally deny warranty work?"

If the suspect abuse, they can deny it. Of course you can fight it, but burnt and warped clutch plates generally point to abuse.

Kenneth_Moore 10-26-2009 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 226861)
The idea that a race replica can't handle a handful of drag race runs is pretty pathetic, though. Clutch slippage or not.

Operator error. As usual.

mscuddy 10-26-2009 09:13 AM

I consider myself quite an abuser of motorcycles on occasion, and only a ham fisted clod can really ruin a clutch on a modern Japanese motorcycle, 'specially one over 1000 cee cees.

I am amazed by some of the posts on this site anymore. Some of you bozos sould work for the factories in the "torture test" department.