Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 10-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
lmcap0
Registered Member

Default Carbureted to Fuel Injection

Following the advice of another one of your boards, I started riding with a Ninja 250. But I'm currently thinking of making the switch up to an R6. However, I had one question about the fuel distribution which could affect when I make the switch.

When I first got my 250, an unexpected event compelled me to leave the country for a couple months. Imagine my surprise when I returned and my bike wouldn't start up. An individual at the dealership informed me (to my best understanding) that as it is a carbureted motorcycle, distribution continues slightly even when the engine isn't running, and as time compounds, the gas goes bad and clogs the fuel lines.

So, I was wondering if any sort of issue exists with fuel injected bikes. I may, after all, be completely misrepresenting the issue, and it could have nothing at all to do with it being carbureted. I worry because I'll have to leave my bike up where I go to college when I take leave, and I need to know the necessary precautions to take.

Thanks in advance.
lmcap0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Gas shouldn't go "bad" in a couple months. Fuel distribution? More like gravity feed on your 250. Get a manual and look at the fuel system, it's brick-like simple.

I've had bikes sit for a year with the same gas in it, started up, ran perfect. I bought a 1964 Dodge 330 Sedan with a slant six that hadn't been started in 10 years, cranked right over, smelled kinds funny, but it got me to the gas station for a top-off (all the spiders and bugs living in the exhaust pipe had a rude awakening).
Old 10-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
lmcap0
Registered Member

I don't follow. Then what caused the fuel line clog? And I guess what I'm really asking is if I'll need to worry about the same issue when I make the jump to the R6.
lmcap0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Unless you ad Stabil fuel stabilizer or drain the carbs the fuel sits in there, the volatiles evaporate through the float bowl vents and what remains is like varnish, that's what clogs the jets and makles it hard to start or run poorly.

Fuel injectors aren't saturated in fuel unless they're operating so they're less likely to have issues like that however a little Stabil in the gas is still a good idea if the bike is going to sit for an extended period of time

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

What he said. In other words, if you're going to park the bike for a few weeks or longer, add Stabil to the fuel tank, run it for a while, hook a battery tender to the battery, and you're all set.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Whatever issues you may avoid with carbs will be replaced with equally annoying issues with fuel injection. They're machines, they fail.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

Gas gums (varnishes) up a little when sitting in a carb or FI system over time. Happens. Carbs need to be broken down and cleaned periodically. FI does to. Method is different but the end result is the same. Fuel filters clog, too. Get yourself a manual and read. If you encounter an issue and you have that manual chances are you can solve the issue yourself.