Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
kilo9990
Registered Member

Default GS300l Restoration

I just purchased my first bike last week, a Suzuki 1985 GS300L. It is in decent condition but has some obvious flaws. The fender is a little crooked along with the light and front turn signals. There is a lot of rust on the spokes and muffler and other areas of the bike as well. The paint job needs to be redone as well. Seeing as winter is coming up, I thought I might try and restore the bike. I barely know anything about bike restoration so does anyone have any advice? How long I should expect to work on it? Cost? What are the different processes? (I have access to quite a few resources) Some bike restorations I have seen have cost quite a but of money. They bead blasted all of the rust off and repainted everything. Painting will only cost me the price of the actual paint itself and I have free access to bead blasting. My dad owns a TW200 so he will help me with the mechanical aspects to get the bike running better but he knows nothing about restoration. I've looked through many forums hoping to find help but I decided it might just be better to ask.

At the very least, I would like to try and get rid of all the rust on the bike. On all of the chrome there are what look like tiny little rust spots, sometimes I can feel them but other times I can just see them. I cant seem to get the spots out. Does anyone know if I could remove the spots to restore the chrome or would repurchasing/re chroming be the only way.

Thanks for the help!
kilo9990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

1. Take photos of everything BEFORE you touch it.
2. Don't take anything apart that you don't have to absolutely take apart.
3. Approach the bike in "units," don't tear the carbs out and then start forking with the forks.
4. WD-40 and steel wool will clean any metal extremely well. Chrome is toast if it's rusted, but you can dull it down and spray it flat black with a rattle-can. It's the "in" look these days anyway.
5. If you aren't sure, leave it alone. It's easy as heck to strip or break bolts, ruin bearings, etc. Get a shop manual and use it for the simple stuff. You aren't going to rebuild the transmission, but you can adjust the carbs.