Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
dandi22
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2
Default Honda VTX 1300 Speedometer Problem

I just bought my bike and the speedometer indicats 10% high. Indicates 60 actual is 54. Dealer replaced the module but it still is the same. Anyone heard of this problem and know a fix?
dandi22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

 
mscuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Next to my still checkin the temp.
Posts: 5,449
Default

Does it have a stock front tire? If so it might be a problem with the ECM (engine control module). Those suckers cost about $400.00.

If the speedo drive is off the front wheel, get a lower profile tire that will spin the speedo faster, that might make up for the discrepancy.

At least you won't get too many speeding tickets with the speedo set like it is.
__________________
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Must have a Ducati speedo on it.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Most speedometers are like that. They purposefully read high because federal regulations require it. You must be protected from yourself you know. Just remember how far off it is.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Most speedometers are like that. They purposefully read high because federal regulations require it. You must be protected from yourself you know. Just remember how far off it is.

The problem is so prevelant that there is a thriving cottage industry engaged in selling "Speedo Healers," re-calibrated speedometer dial faces, etc. Many websites have charts for various bikes listing the percentage error at various speeds; usually the faster you go the greater the error. Consider it a license to speed. You can bust down the road at 75 in a 70 zone, enjoying that guilty pleasure while knowing that you're really at or under the limit.

If you can find a correction device or re-calibrated speedo face, get a GPS and make some runs to establish your own baselines. I did that with my bike, I know when I have an indicated 80 my real SOG is 74; well within the 10mph "gimme" allowance practiced by the FHP.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
The problem is so prevelant that there is a thriving cottage industry engaged in selling "Speedo Healers," re-calibrated speedometer dial faces, etc. Many websites have charts for various bikes listing the percentage error at various speeds; usually the faster you go the greater the error. Consider it a license to speed. You can bust down the road at 75 in a 70 zone, enjoying that guilty pleasure while knowing that you're really at or under the limit.

If you can find a correction device or re-calibrated speedo face, get a GPS and make some runs to establish your own baselines. I did that with my bike, I know when I have an indicated 80 my real SOG is 74; well within the 10mph "gimme" allowance practiced by the FHP.
Cheapskates can clock their speed the old way. Travel at a steady rate of speed for one mile while counting the seconds. Then divide the seconds it takes to travel 1 mile into 3600. That will give you your speed.... oh heck, this is MO. Forget it. Just buy a GPS. I doubt anyone here can do division.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Cheapskates can clock their speed the old way. Travel at a steady rate of speed for one mile while counting the seconds. Then divide the seconds it takes to travel 1 mile into 3600. That will give you your speed.... oh heck, this is MO. Forget it. Just buy a GPS. I doubt anyone here can do division.
We stopped doing division after the Dali Obama was elected. "Change" Remember?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
dandi22
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2
Default

I did the GPS check and it is off 10%. They changed the module and it is still the same, so you all are right about how prevelent it is. I might be just to much of a perfectionist. I will look for a correction device or tell Honda to fix it and call me when it is done. Thanks for the input. PS. I'm sure all of you are math majors.
dandi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

 
longride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Anywhere they let me
Posts: 10,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandi22 View Post
I did the GPS check and it is off 10%. They changed the module and it is still the same, so you all are right about how prevelent it is. I might be just to much of a perfectionist. I will look for a correction device or tell Honda to fix it and call me when it is done. Thanks for the input. PS. I'm sure all of you are math majors.

Look no further:

Official home page of the Yellow Box Speedo Recalibrator
__________________
I'm a knucklehead
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off