Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-26-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
Deviant01
Registered Member

Question Backwards front Tire???

I ride a '09 V-Star 1100 Custom. The other day I noticed some shaking in the front end when braking... Upon Further Inspection with a buddies help we found my fron tire turned backwards. Will this affect other Parts/Systems of the bike? I.E. Wear on break pads, Uneaven wear when tire is remounted. etc. etc. I guess what im asking is what parts need fixen as a result of this F.U.B.A.R.
Deviant01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

No mechanical damage should have occured to the bike from this. Having the tire mounted backwards was a major safety issue; it couldn't handle or brake as intended in that configuration.

I would recommend you replace the tire immediately and discard it; being run "against the grain" has corrupted the integrity of the tire carcass.

Take a moment and thank the Good Lord you didn't get in a situation where you needed to use that tire to it's full capability. If you had, you'd be asking about the best orthopaedic surgeons today instead of bike repairs.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

I wouldn't worry much. The direction of the tyre is mainly for proper drainage of the water grooves when running on wet roads. Just put a new tire on correctly and motor on.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
Deviant01
Registered Member

Smile Thx

Thx for the help...Unfortunatly the dealership is closed on Sunday's but I will be there Monday morning to have them replace it. I may even push to have them do it for free as they are the ones responsable.
Deviant01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant01 View Post
Thx for the help...Unfortunatly the dealership is closed on Sunday's but I will be there Monday morning to have them replace it. I may even push to have them do it for free as they are the ones responsable.
If they installed it backwards, they need to take responsibility for that and replace the tire for free. It's a completely reasonable request.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Just make sure to find out which tech installed it backwards, then make sure all the other techs know aswell.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

Don't take "No" for an answer on this. This is their screw up. They should know better.

Like that outfit that forgot to pump up the rear brake.