Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   Clutch depressed--bike dies (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/13223-clutch-depressed-bike-dies.html)

SteveLa 09-24-2009 09:16 AM

Clutch depressed--bike dies

Hello to the Forum--new guy on the block. Anyway, reently purchased a 2009 DL650. I'm having a problem. The dealership says all checks outs perfectly on the computer checks---but when riding the bike things don't. When riding at road speeds and for instance I see a car coming onto the highway in front of me closer than he should---and I "quickly" depress the brake and clutch (coast to slow down)--like one would with a manual transmission car---the bike's idle goes to zero and the bike dies--at 60 mph!! Same when I come up to stop signs--at lower speeds. ALMOST EVERYTIME I depress the clutch to downshift the bike dies. I starts instantly by popping the clutch or hitting the starter---but it should not die like this. At idle in the driveway--steady as a rock--idles like a sewing machine all day long--not a waiver. Upshift is usually done much faster so no problem shows up getting to road speed---only downshifting and/or slowing down quickly.

Anyone else experienced this? And if the dealership says all is fine---and obviously it's not----what's the fix?

The_AirHawk 09-24-2009 09:39 AM

Have you tried Prozac or Effexor?

trenttheuncatchable 09-24-2009 10:00 AM

Dude, it's a new bike. Take it back to the dealer, explain the problem, and have them road test it, experience the problem, and then fix it.

SteveLa 09-24-2009 10:11 AM

Been there two times to one dealer---once to another. So far just over $600 into shop time running computer checks on the engine. Nothing shows up. I took the mechanic on a ride--he drove---did it twice to him---but even after that--and another $230 for shop time--he said they found nothing wrong. No sensor problems---nothing at all showed up. That's why I'm still paying out of pocket. If anything did show up---it would be covered by warranty--as a problem found and fixed. Finding nothing means I keep paying--so naturally I'd like to find out the problem. I figured by asking here--maybe someone would have experienced this problem and at least I could go to a dealer to ask specifically for a certain thing to be looked at--or for.

longride 09-24-2009 10:20 AM

I'm not familiar with that bike, but I would be looking at a switch going bad like a clutch interlock or tipover switch or something like that.

The_AirHawk 09-24-2009 11:06 AM

If I had just bought a New Bike, and was having trouble with it, the Dealer would NOT be into me a fcuking DIME.

You've been had - if they're charging YOU for finding a problem on a brand-new bike you just purchased from them (that they can't find, it seems!), they're ripping you off. Start Lemon Law proceedings against their ass - they'll either buy it back or fix it.

Period.

"Warranty Problems" doesn't mean "If we decide we can't find it, we'll charge you for it". It fcuking means they'll fix it, without cost to you. It's the MANUFACTURER they need to be billing.

I'd retain services of a Lawyer. Bet that'll straighten their ass up. Real Quick.

The_AirHawk 09-24-2009 11:14 AM

Another thing - Yamaha's had a similar problem due to a cheap Throttle Position Sensor in the '04 MY - My FZ6 suffered from similar symptoms. Yamaha issued a Recall (for the FZ6, R6, R1, FJR), and fixed it 100% THEIR expense (once they figured out the problem). Anyone that had previously PAID for it was reimbursed.

Save your receipts.

seruzawa 09-24-2009 11:32 AM

Get a lawyer. They have illegally charged you for repairs on a bike under warranty. They are required to fix it or give you a new bike. They must also refund all the money they have stolen from you for their phony repairs. Do not waste any more time or try to negotiate with this criminal dealership. Get a lawyer. Anything else is a waste of time and money.

longride 09-24-2009 11:34 AM

"Get a lawyer. Anything else is a waste of time and money."

And here I always thought getting a lawyer was a waste of time and ESPECIALLY money!

seruzawa 09-24-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 224752)
"Get a lawyer. Anything else is a waste of time and money."

And here I always thought getting a lawyer was a waste of time and ESPECIALLY money!

Don't be a meanie. This is one of those cases (1%) where legal advice is actually needed and not just some cheap get rich quick scam (99%).