Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Oh yeah - so far as "computer checks" goes - a bad TPS won't show up on a quick scan of the bike. It took some mechanic that knows a bit about the bike to actually figure the problem out, and realize that several bikes were being affected. And THEN to work his way back up through th maze of Corporate Denials to get someone up the supply-chain to fix it.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #12
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

How many miles are on the bike? An engine with less than 1,000 miles can exhibit those symptoms just because it's tight.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #13
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

The DR is the big dual-sport, right? You migt want to check the tank-vent hose, it might be getting pinched under certain circumstances.

And when you say "pull in the clutch at freeway speeds" do you go down a gear, and let the clutch out again?

Also check the air cleaner, and the whole intake tract. Sounds like something starves for fuel every now and then (under the same circumstance).

I had an '83 XL600R that did the same thing, turned out to be the black box that was defective (spark went away at low RPM when the bike was hot).

Take it to another Suzuki dealer and have them take a look-see. Your dealer sounds like a bone head.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

What they said. I was going to suggest the switch on the kick stand but I guess that would cause it do die when the clutch was let out, not pulled in.

Also, you don't need to coast from 60 MPH. Just slow down, downshift, brakes. The clutch is for when you come to a stop.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yah, I now zee another problem that might be zee cause. Hmmm, yes...

The clutch is a very important part of a motorcycle, and sometimes it feels abused, let down and about to explode.

When these feelings sometimes manifest themselves into depression, it can cause the whole motorcycle to go into a funk, and sometimes the depressed motorcycle wants to hurt itself, or others around it.

Suicidal tendencies are also reported in rare cases. Sometimes from a feeling of inadequacy the motorcycle seeks to hang out with a tougher crowd, starts swilling Castrol R, and doesn't come home for days at a time. That's when intervention is in order. That's what I specialize in;
Motorcycle Psycotherapy.

I can bring your 'Busa back from the edge. Call me (81 555-1212. I'll be there for your Madura.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

There's a lot of different advice here but the bottom line is that DL650s aren't supposed to do that. Something is wrong and the dealer is gaming you. He's running a fraud and belongs in the crowbar hotel.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #17
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
There's a lot of different advice here but the bottom line is that DL650s aren't supposed to do that. Something is wrong and the dealer is gaming you. He's running a fraud and belongs in the crowbar hotel.
I'm telling you it's just a break-in /operator issue. Mine did exactly the same thing; it's the same engine except 1000 vs. 650. As soon as I got up toward 1000 miles it stopped. He can avoid it by blipping the throttle.