Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
polkat
Registered Member

Default Trike conversion?

Has anyone here ever converted thier bike into a trike (in this case a Kawasaki KZ750)? If so, what parts did you use? I want to do this myself (and not use one of the mega bucks kits), and was wondering about possible rear ends to use, brakes, etc. Any ideas? Thanks!
polkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

It's not worth it. The coversion kits are expensive vs the value of the bike. If you check around there is a smokin' 86 Honda VF700 SuperMagna that has a trick conversion kit for sale in GA. I used to insure it and the new owner posted something on a forum that he was selling it because he lost his job. You'll spend around $6500 for it, but it's clean and taken care of. Don't remember where I saw the post- sorry.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I put cards in my spokes once. It sounded so cool!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member

polkat,

The short answer is: Don't do it!

It will cost a good bit of money, and it will make you crazy trying to get the geometries and construction details right.

You cannot just weld the ass-end of an old Datsun pickup to a couple pieces of square tube and bolt it up.

Even if you managed to build it perfectly, you'd have a vehicle that would do everything it could to throw you off. Especially in an emergency braking maneuver, or a hot turn.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Don't let these nattering nabobs of negativism stop you from modifying your KZ7550, what you need to find is a Cushman Truckster, cut the back end off, and weld it up to your Kawasaki's frame.

The Truckster has sprockets, and cable actuated drum brakes, so you will have top flight equipment when you go with the Cushman mod.

Also, you can get many accessories for the truckster, like a cement mixer, mini-wrecker, glof club bag holders, and a neat refrigerated box if you want to sell ice creme to the neighborhood kiddies. I mean, in this economy you might as well get the most out of it...
Old 09-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
polkat
Registered Member

Seriously, is a Truckster frame strong enough to hold up to a big Kawasaki? And how would it perform at highway speeds?
polkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

The only home-brew conversions I've seen involve grafting a quad front end onto the bike. That means you have two wheels up front for cornering and braking.

They work pretty well, so I'm told.

But I am sure that is not what you're looking for.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

You might be better off finding an old HD servicar and sticking the Kawasaki motor in it.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Trucksters were rated at 1000 lbs. with an 8 hp motor. Your old KZ motor should do just fine. The frame was beefy enough for a hydraulic dump-bed option as well.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Why don't you just ride the kawi and find an early Beetle and cut it in half to make a trike out of. I'm talkin' true 70's style here with a 15 foot spring and apehangers nice 6 foot King/Queen Cobra seat... flat black paint with Moon Racing eye's on it..(ask your dad)......If you want total authenticity spray can FTA, FTM, FTN or the catch-all FTW on it in flat white...a nice big "13" on the back....some original 15 inch Cragers with mis-matched tire size's......

Now you're mobbin yo.....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote