Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
Barrettxxx911
Registered Member

Default Suzuki SV650S No Oil?

Hey guys hows it going ?
I am new here, just signed up, been looking for a group to ride with and a chill forum to go on so you'll be seeing me round here.

I have a possibly BIG problem here and I really need some help ASAP !!
My bike was running, I put my second batch of "Seaphome" or something like that, this stuff my dad uses, went and filled up at the gas station, got onto the highway and I noticed my bike wasnt going a good speed, gave the trottle a good twist and it felt like an air bubble or something was stopping it from going faster.. so I pulled over onto the highway with my buddy and my bike was making a kind of clunking sound.
Shut it off and brought it home and started it again just to see if it would start and make the sound, and yes it was still making the sound.

I have like, NO OIL in there and I didn't know that from before, and my next door neighbour says his old suzuki did that and it survived with just an oil change nd such.
Has anyone ever had these problems? How was it fixed?
and does it sound like my bike has a chance? I will be doing an oil change in a couple hours !
Barrettxxx911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Hmmm...no oil...clunking sound...hmmmm....seafoam..hmmm....I'd say time to remove that gas cap and screw it on another motorcycle...

Live and learn. You might try an oil change, but that won't restore wiped out bearings and scuffed up pistons.

A testament to the SV650's rugged design. Any other bike would of exploded. Good thing you don't own a Ducati..
Old 09-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Barrettxxx911
Registered Member

So would you say it will be ridable after the oil change?
Barrettxxx911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

That all depends what's making the clunking noise. Hopefully you ruined something like the cam chain tensoner that can be replaced without having to split the cases.

Change the oil and see how it runs. If it smokes and the clunking noise gets worse, you're in for big $$$$ in repairs if it lets loose like a hatching egg. Sometimes you get lucky, and the clunking goes away after a few miles (plain bearings sometimes heal themselves if they aren't too wasted).

Good luck and let us know what happened. I've got a buddy with a folded up SV650 that still has a good motor, if you need one after all.

Whatever you do, don't pour STP or Slick 50 in the motor, it will ruin the clutch, and you won't go anywhere.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Do as cuddy says. Put in fresh oil and ride it. If it seems okay just motor on dude. If it isn't okay the cost of rebuilding will likely be far more than the bike is worth. You need to see current Japanese parts prices to believe them. Highway robbery. Japanese bikes are designed as throwaways.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Like cuddy sez. A new-used motor from a squinched bike will be a thousand-fold cheaper than trying to rebuild this one.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettxxx911 View Post
Hey guys hows it going ?
I am new here, just signed up, been looking for a group to ride with and a chill forum to go on so you'll be seeing me round here.

I have a possibly BIG problem here and I really need some help ASAP !!
My bike was running, I put my second batch of "Seaphome" or something like that, this stuff my dad uses, went and filled up at the gas station, got onto the highway and I noticed my bike wasnt going a good speed, gave the trottle a good twist and it felt like an air bubble or something was stopping it from going faster.. so I pulled over onto the highway with my buddy and my bike was making a kind of clunking sound.
Shut it off and brought it home and started it again just to see if it would start and make the sound, and yes it was still making the sound.

I have like, NO OIL in there and I didn't know that from before, and my next door neighbour says his old suzuki did that and it survived with just an oil change nd such.
Has anyone ever had these problems? How was it fixed?
and does it sound like my bike has a chance? I will be doing an oil change in a couple hours !

How about explaining the part between "my bike was running I put my second batch of seaphome in? I mean seriously? How often did it run, how many miles, what year? first owner? Its like reading a crystal fryckin ball?
Old 09-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettxxx911 View Post
So would you say it will be ridable after the oil change?
Your SV has a small glass "window" about the size of a bottle cap on the lower right side of the engine. When there is oil in the engine, you can see it through the window. Check when the bike is level and straight up and down, not leaned over on the kickstand. Get someone to hold it upright if you aren't comfortable checking it yourself.

If you rode more than around the block without oil, the engine is toast. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT RIDE THIS BIKE. Even if the engine runs after adding oil, you have a very good chance of experiencing CATASTROPHIC FAILURE AT HIGHWAY SPEED. Dealing with a siezed engine is not something a noob needs to learn about on the highway.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
cloud9
Registered Member

I think the product your describing is sea foam. I've heard that it thins out the oil and I've generally only seen it being used on cars but the label says it can be used on all gasoline engines. Did you read the instructions on the product? You may have used too much. Why did you use sea foam in the first place? Change the oil and see how it runs.

I have used sea foam in my car and it tends to run rough for a bit while it clears through the system. After about 5-10 minutes of driving the cloud of white smoke clears and it runs like normal.
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote