Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 09-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
djbean
Registered Member

Cool starter clutch swap

Greetings,
I bought a 1980 suzuki gs850g it had thrown a rod! I just bought a 1980 gs1000g engine to install, it is missing the stater,stator and idler gear! the guy told me the parts off the gs850g would work. when i got it home i tried to swap out the parts but the stater on the 850 is a bit smaller and the idler gear dosent seem to match up with the flywheel/starter cluctch! So i was wondering if i took the starter clutch/flywheel off the 1000 engine, would the parts from the 850 work??? Im just hopeing i can find some clarity before i purchase the special tools required to remove both starter clutch assemblies. The other option would be find parts for the 1000!!! Stator/generator,idler gear and posibally the starter. I think i can make a bracket to get the starter to work?
I would really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks djbean
djbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

No. Little in the two bikes' engines are compatible. Check motorcycle junkyards. You possibly might have better luck with GS750 parts since the 850 is a 750 with slightly longer rods and bigger pistons IIRC.

Next time don't listen to some seller's BS.