Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 08-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
82CB750K
Registered Member

Default 1982 Cb 750k

Well as my name and the title of this post suggests i own a 1982 Honda CB750K. bought it at the beginning of this summer and started getting it ready to ride. now i have it all registered and on the road but some issues have come up that have me rather concerned. the first and probably the most serious is that after the bike has warmed up from being ridden when i am in first gear at a stop sign for example while the clutch is pulled in to prevent stalling the bike will rev up to around 4-4500 RPM. this will also occur when the bike is in neutral after about the same amount of time. it only happens while in first gear or neutral. i tested it out today and it does not occur while shifting or just riding and the clutch gets pulled. This is also a constant thing as it will "idle" there until i start letting the clutch out to take off. i have searched for awhile now to see if i can figure out what is causing it but have not been able to find anything that could be it. The second issue that has arisen is that while going down the highway while in 5th gear when i hit around 60 it is at 5K RPM and goes up accordingly with the higher speeds. (example is that at 65 it is 5500RPM.) now from what i have been able to find online for the RPM's of this particular bike they should not be that high and i should be able to cruise at 65 at around either 4500 or inbetween 4500 and 5000 (or something like that). if anyone can give me any ideas on what might be causing these things to occur it would be very much appreciated.
82CB750K is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Rebuild the carbs. And check the boots for cracking & air leaks. Also, check the plugs, they are most likely very light-gray in color, indicating a major air leak.

CB750's are bulletproof, and will keep running under conditions that would kill other motorcycles.

Good luck.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
SmokeU
Registered Member

The bike may have different sprockets on it. Count the teeth and compare to what they were supposed to have stock.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
82CB750K
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Rebuild the carbs. And check the boots for cracking & air leaks. Also, check the plugs, they are most likely very light-gray in color, indicating a major air leak.

CB750's are bulletproof, and will keep running under conditions that would kill other motorcycles.

Good luck.
I am planning on doing that this winter as the season is very limited time left. the person i bought the bike off of had another set or carbs and i will probably rebuild those and put them on or practice with them until i know how to do it right. also wondering what plugs your are referring to i have no clue. though i am mechanically inclined i know nothing about bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU
The bike may have different sprockets on it. Count the teeth and compare to what they were supposed to have stock.
As stated in the response to mscuddy i know nothing about bikes though i am learning slowly. would this entail taking the motor apart?
82CB750K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

The sprockets are the toothed gears connected to the drive chain. One is on the rear wheel and the other is on the engine output shaft otherwise called the countershaft. Removing the engine not required.

You really need to get a manual for it.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

The "plugs" we speak of are little cork-like plugs in the case assembly that stop the wifflebat from jaming into the spin-wheedle. They're located next to the trundle pinion.

Also you might want to check the reverse-osmosis lister bag assembly, located under the oil tank. It might be full of algae, and needs attention.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"You really need to get a manual for it."

Think so?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #8
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"You really need to get a manual for it."

Think so?

Naawwww. Why would he need one of those?