Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 08-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
jpartieda
Registered Member

Default Brake Drag...

Hey everyone!
I have a Suzuki 125EN 2008, and I'm having some troubles with my rear drum brake...My brake constantly gets unadjusted, and when I carry my a passenger with me ,for some reason after a while , the brake starts to drag and slows down my bike tremendously to the point I have to accelerate downhill just to keep up a constant speed! I have re adjusted the brakes with and without passenger but it seems that it's something else other than adjustment... I'm guessing bearings? Please help me! Thanks!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Could be that the brake arm on the drum that the cable actuates is loose. See if it is and if so tighten it and readjust. If that's not it you better park it and pull that rear wheel off and inspect everything.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

An '08 model - is it still under Warranty? If so, a Dealer Tech should look at it right away.

Drum-type linkage-actuated brakes are fairly simple. But, to the uninitiated are complex-enough to really bugger something into the ground if you get it wrong. Being a critical component, at the very least have a knowledgable friend take a look at it.

Without being able to look at it, I'd hazard a guess that the belcrank lockbolt is not tightening on the brake-cam splines enough, and is moving-about and throwing-off your adjustment.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:26 AM   #4
jpartieda
Registered Member

Yeah, it still is under guarantee, but the mechanic from the store I bought the bike from is an idiot. He doesn't fix anything. I'm a car mechanic so I'm figuring I'm better off doing it myself...I'll try taking the bugger apart. Any other suggestions as to what it could be? Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

If you are a mechanic, the arrangement will be fairly obvious to you when you get into it.

Go to Bikebandit.com and pull the exploded parts diagram to see what you're in for.

And, unless the idiot is the owner's brother (or the Owner!), call the owner and tell them why you are not bringing the bike in for service.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:32 AM   #6
jpartieda
Registered Member

Yeah, I've been doing that...oh man the store just plain sucks...they told me 3 days just to change oil!

I figured out why the brake locks up, it's because of the weight, the chain and the brake get more tension, making both tighter which makes the brake lever move as if I was pushing the pedal..the solution would be a harder rear suspension which I don't want and to move the lever so it has certain play... Well anyway thanks to everyone
Old 08-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

I would check the brake arm first like Seruzawa stated. Sounds like its spinning when it should be stationary.