Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 08-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #31
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by body snatcher View Post
Being on the road for several months will require bringing enough items to remain comfortable between motels and condos. Also the tools and equipment for emergency repairs. It adds up for two elderly persons trying to live on a fixed income.

If I may.....since you'll be moteling/condoing it you should be able to distill down an awful lot. Motels have laundry facilities so you don't need more than a few changes of clothes each plus motels also provide hygene items so you can minimize them to. Tools are realistically a moot point, what roadside repairs are you going to do on an Ultra?...a cell phone and a credit card are the only tools you're liable to use.

Good textile riding suits eliminate the need for riding gear plus rain gear and you can just wear shorts and a tee shirt under them most of the time. That leaves a laptop, some reading material and a small concealable pistol for personal defence (make sure you're legal and permitted to carry) and you're set. An Ultra with bags, a trunk and luggage racks on top will carry a ton of stuff without the need for a trailer....

My opinion, worth what you paid for it...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 08-21-2009 at 03:31 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #32
12er
Founding Member

Following up on Sarnali's lead check out the motofizz camping seat bags on the aerostich site. Ive seen the medium on the luggage rack of many o hog. I have the large and love it but would never put that bag up high, too tempting to fill it. My Buddy has the Medium and loves it. The small holds quite a bit too, so worth contemplating.

MotoFizz Camping Seat Bags - Seat Bags and Tail Bags - Packing it in :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

Also check into some of the convertible hiking pants as they pack up to a quarter of what jeans take up and they have zip off pant legs. So shorts and pants all in one. You get a weeks worth of pants in the space of two pairs of jeans.

Last edited by 12er : 08-21-2009 at 04:57 PM.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #33
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Is the light bulb coming on yet?
Im naked, does that count?
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #34
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
It won't feel like I lost power. It will feel like I have a load behind the bike.

Have YOU ever pulled anything? Power is not lost, the perception of power perhaps is, but that's something different. Using your logic, with me on your bike, it'll lose power.
"the perception of power perhaps is"

Your finally admitting it, thank you,...thats all I was trying to say. And yes I have towed things before. Its the same feeling, and perhaps the same thing.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #35
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
"the perception of power perhaps is"

Your finally admitting it, thank you,...thats all I was trying to say. And yes I have towed things before. Its the same feeling, and perhaps the same thing.

I'm admitting what? That power is not lost? Course it isn't. Just because something accelerates slower doesn't mean it's losing power.

Again using your logic your track bike has a hellovalot less power with me on it than you.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:17 AM   #36
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

All Iam saying is "it feels like youve lost power"? Not that youve actually lost it. But it FEELS like you have lost power because of the weight of the load? Thats it, thats all? Would you agree that it feels like youve lost power? Dude something tells me you might understand if I wrote it out as a mathmatic formula.

Kinda of the same feeling as a race bike thats ridden first by you and then by me. Iam done youve wore me out already. I am sure you get where Iam coming from.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

Reductio ad absurdum
Old 08-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #38
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Reductio ad absurdum
no doubt??????
Old 08-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #39
SmokeU
Registered Member

BWAhahahhaah my job is done.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #40
Brewmaster
Registered Member

Typical Harley riders. Can't answer a question but they're full of opinions. And you know what they say about opinions.

The general rule of thumb is the trailer shouldn't exceed 50% of the wet weight of your bike unloaded. So if your bike is 750lbs wet then the max trailer weight shouldn't exceed 375lbs.

And yes I tow a trailer and yes I prefer the great outdoors to a hotel room with a TV and air conditioning. And yes I actually take my bike down gravel roads. And no I NEVER see any Harley riders where I camp because they are all in the Air conditioned rooms off the Interstate with the TV cranked to full volume 'cause they're half deaf from the noise their bike makes.

And that's where we like them.

I was going to buy a Harley but I thought I'd get something less expensive,
and quieter,
and more comfortable,
and more powerful,
and more reliable,
and better looking,
so I bought a Valkyrie.

Cheers Gentlemen,

Brewmaster
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote