Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   What Is The Towing Capacity? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/12904-what-towing-capacity.html)

SmokeU 08-21-2009 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 222177)
No need to try and educate me my friend, the bottom line isnt where tourqe or horspower are derived from. The point I was making regaurdless of what you just stated is that you would lose hp by hooking up a trailer, thats all. Besides 600's are perfect for in town, light, and high reving, Id love a six for in town?

I'd rather have a low revving high torque engine in town. High revving does not neccesarily make for a good engine, especially in town. Pulling a trailer will *not* make you lose horsepower. You may go a little slower but 64hp is 64hp is 64hp.

pushrod 08-21-2009 06:36 AM

HP and torque issues aside, the real issue remains the control of the rig.

Even if the trailer had its own brakes, which I doubt any possess, it'd still upset the rear end of the bike in an 'emergency' maneuver.

Same problem with the guy hauling a 5th wheel with his F-150/C1500. He's okay until he really needs to stop in a hurry.

MOKE1K 08-21-2009 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeU (Post 222203)
I'd rather have a low revving high torque engine in town. High revving does not neccesarily make for a good engine, especially in town. Pulling a trailer will *not* make you lose horsepower. You may go a little slower but 64hp is 64hp is 64hp.

In essence your bike will not pull with the same verocity. You will feel like youve lost hp? Do you think your brain can agree with that? Jezz,.....Why avoid the obvious? Why even argue about it, if you add weight to your measly 64 hp it will feel like youve lost hp.

Thats funny Iv ridden many 600's in town and never had a problem? I perfer the lightweight easy handling.

SmokeU 08-21-2009 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 222211)
In essence your bike will not pull with the same verocity. You will feel like youve lost hp? Do you think your brain can agree with that? Jezz,.....Why avoid the obvious? Why even argue about it, if you add weight to your measly 64 hp it will feel like youve lost hp.

Thats funny Iv ridden many 600's in town and never had a problem? I perfer the lightweight easy handling.

I'm not discounting the lightweight easy handling, I just prefer to not have to rev the madura out of something to make decent power.

I've pulled enough trailers with trucks to know that acceleration will be slowed. It won't feel like I lost power, but rather feel like I'm towing a heavy load.

body snatcher 08-21-2009 10:16 AM

Being on the road for several months will require bringing enough items to remain comfortable between motels and condos. Also the tools and equipment for emergency repairs. It adds up for two elderly persons trying to live on a fixed income.

MOKE1K 08-21-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeU (Post 222213)
acceleration will be slowed. It won't feel like I lost power.

Is the light bulb coming on yet?

longride 08-21-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 222230)
Is the light bulb coming on yet?

MOKE, you should NEVER ask that question.

seruzawa 08-21-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by body snatcher (Post 222228)
Being on the road for several months will require bringing enough items to remain comfortable between motels and condos. Also the tools and equipment for emergency repairs. It adds up for two elderly persons trying to live on a fixed income.

You're going to do a months long trip. Cool. Be sure to post some pictures here for us.

I see HDs with trailers on them frequently where I live in Utah. You should be fine if you get a quality hitch and keep the weight as low as possible. Just be prepared to go slower in the mountains and change your tranny oil regularly.

MOKE1K 08-21-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 222238)
MOKE, you should NEVER ask that question.

Hey I realize Iam not the quickest when it comes to comprehension "ON THE INTERNET" but under the circumstances?

"acceleration will be slowed. It won't feel like I lost power."

SmokeU 08-21-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 222242)
Hey I realize Iam not the quickest when it comes to comprehension "ON THE INTERNET" but under the circumstances?

"acceleration will be slowed. It won't feel like I lost power."

It won't feel like I lost power. It will feel like I have a load behind the bike.

Have YOU ever pulled anything? Power is not lost, the perception of power perhaps is, but that's something different. Using your logic, with me on your bike, it'll lose power.