Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 08-16-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
honsbeek
Registered Member

Default New Squealing Brakes

Hi there ,

I am driving a Honda 919 (CB 900f) for about two and a half years now, love the bike. I was just noticing come Squealing sound coming from my front brakes , and figured they were close to replacing.

I bought some new Honda issue Front and rear brake pad and some tools and went to work. Replaced the front pads myself and all went smooth. Now I thought the sound would go away but it seems worse.

I now get a general Squeaking high pitched sound when even so slightly I press the brake level, and turning into a whistling lower pitched sound when getting to the end of the brake front end coming down. This now happens each time.

I wonder if I might have done something wrong or not. The pads come out the same way the new ones went.

Is there such a thing as "Brake Alignment" in Motorcycle brakes ?

Please help to solve this annoying sound problem.

In the past I have had new brake pads that sounded a bit , but after a while that sound went away...

Thanks in advance

Last edited by honsbeek : 08-16-2009 at 03:23 AM.
honsbeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Squealing disc brakes is not as common as it used to be, but it happens. There's some goo you can get at an auto supply store that you spread on the backing plate of the pads to reduce squeal.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
honsbeek
Registered Member

Some "Goo" ??

i feel more that the actual brake padding and the contact with the rotor is causing this sound ... but what do I know
Old 08-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Sorry if reality doesn't match your desires.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
honsbeek
Registered Member

I will look for that "Goo" then , so you're telling me that contact between the back of the pads with the brake shims are the probable cause of the squealing?

Thanks for you feedback
Old 08-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

It's called Disc Brake Quiet made by CRC and sold through NAPA and other places I would assume. It's like orange silicone seal that goes on the back of the pads and eliminates high frequency vibrations or "squeal"

I personally would be a little more appreciative when asking for and receiving advice.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
It's called Disc Brake Quiet made by CRC and sold through NAPA and other places I would assume. It's like orange silicone seal that goes on the back of the pads and eliminates high frequency vibrations or "squeal"

I personally would be a little more appreciative when asking for and receiving advice.
You make me laugh aloud sometimes, Snarli. Aloud I say. Now, it's my turn to make YOU laugh: So how well does a Hog float? - KatRiders.com

No Trout were harmed in the making of this Adventure...............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Well he won't do THAT again gad'dammit..............

Old 08-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

High pitched squeeking followed by a low whistling sound usually means the pressure valve is stuck and the boiler's about to explode! Run Away!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Funny you mention that. My partner on 1st shift is a retired BTCM, good man and an walking encyclopedia on steam engineering. Me and him do all the set-up calibration and troubleshooting on the boilers. At any rate he was on the other day and noticed a wisp coming off the tattletale on the 1 st relief valve (set at 160) on 3 boiler, so he climbs up on top of the boiler and gives the remote operating cable a yank. Of course the valve pops, fortunately at 125 which is normal operating pressure, he took an indirect blast from the tattle tale across his chest and damn near knocked him off the boiler LOL.

I had to fill out an incident report and we're trying to think of a way to put it that didn't make him look like an FNG making a most basic mistake of if it's under pressure, don't f*ck with it!....It's funny but he's the same as me, been doing this for 35 years but still now and then you have a brain fart and dam* near punch out..