Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 08-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by honsbeek View Post
Hi there ,

I am driving a Honda 919 (CB 900f) for about two and a half years now, love the bike. I was just noticing come Squealing sound coming from my front brakes , and figured they were close to replacing.

I bought some new Honda issue Front and rear brake pad and some tools and went to work. Replaced the front pads myself and all went smooth. Now I thought the sound would go away but it seems worse.

I now get a general Squeaking high pitched sound when even so slightly I press the brake level, and turning into a whistling lower pitched sound when getting to the end of the brake front end coming down. This now happens each time.

I wonder if I might have done something wrong or not. The pads come out the same way the new ones went.

Is there such a thing as "Brake Alignment" in Motorcycle brakes ?

Please help to solve this annoying sound problem.

In the past I have had new brake pads that sounded a bit , but after a while that sound went away...

Thanks in advance
Check to see if the pads and pistons are retracking evenly? Check for the wheel to spin freely.Not cleaning the outer part of the pistons can eventually lead to the seals being dragged out once the new set is worn out. Plus it also creates one side of the pads in the caliper to drag against the rotor. Good luck, now back to the bolier room antics,...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Here's a little wiskey drinkin music to help you on your way

YouTube - The Balfa Brothers - Parlez Nous A Boire

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Funny you mention that. My partner on 1st shift is a retired BTCM, good man and an walking encyclopedia on steam engineering. Me and him do all the set-up calibration and troubleshooting on the boilers. At any rate he was on the other day and noticed a wisp coming off the tattletale on the 1 st relief valve (set at 160) on 3 boiler, so he climbs up on top of the boiler and gives the remote operating cable a yank. Of course the valve pops, fortunately at 125 which is normal operating pressure, he took an indirect blast from the tattle tale across his chest and damn near knocked him off the boiler LOL.

I had to fill out an incident report and we're trying to think of a way to put it that didn't make him look like an FNG making a most basic mistake of if it's under pressure, don't f*ck with it!....It's funny but he's the same as me, been doing this for 35 years but still now and then you have a brain fart and dam* near punch out..
I've been doin' this Steam Shyte now for 15 years or so. The most frightened I've ever been, was in my first year - watching a guy (who'd been in it like 30 years) beat on the side of a FW check with a 4'-long 2" pipe to try and stop the F'er blowing-back into the FW tank when it stuck (well, both of 'em stuck, actually) and was causing the tank to jump about 6" off the ground from the stresses being induced in it from 130psi of pressure.

Then there was the time I had to replace refractory in the same boiler 'cuz one of them old POS Honeywell "clockwork" ignition-controllers broke, and the resulting furnace-explosion broke half the brass nuts off the doors and blew kaowool all over the F'n parking-lot to where it looked like it'd snowed. There was a truck-driver delivering liquid CO2 to a tank just outside the Boiler Rm door - he just unhooked and dropped everything, then shagged-ass. I was like "Hell, it's too damn late by then - he should've just stayed and unloaded anyway......."

Or the utter creepiness of climbing through the plug of that same boiler, all the way up the Morrison tube to work on the burner-refractory, 'cuz the Davit-arm bearing was siezed and the rear door couldn't be opened. And still hasn't been replaced about 13+ years on (I queried some contractors who have been working in that plant about it last weekend when I had them in working on my current charge, at its inspection).

And then there was the rotting condensate-drain lines in the Ammonia-refrigeration plant that someone just "plated over" when they started leaking, that the Maintenance Manager and I had to "sneak" into an expense-report to get replaced, because "There is no money in the Capital-Improvement Projects Budget to replace them at this time"..............

Heh.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 08-16-2009 at 08:09 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I've been doin' this Steam Shyte now for 15 years or so. The most frightened I've ever been, was in my first year - watching a guy (who'd been in it like 30 years) beat on the side of a FW check with a 4'-long 2" pipe to try and stop the F'er blowing-back into the FW tank when it stuck (well, both of 'em stuck, actually) and was causing the tank to jump about 6" off the ground from the stresses being induced in it from 130psi of pressure.

Then there was the time I had to replace refractory in the same boiler 'cuz one of them old POS Honeywell "clockwork" ignition-controllers broke, and the resulting furnace-explosion broke half the brass nuts off the doors and blew kaowool all over the F'n parking-lot to where it looked like it'd snowed. There was a truck-driver delivering liquid CO2 to a tank just outside the Boiler Rm door - he just unhooked and dropped everything, then shagged-ass. I was like "Hell, it's too damn late by then - he should've just stayed and unloaded anyway......."

Or the utter creepiness of climbing through the plug of that same boiler, all the way up the Morrison tube to work on the burner-refractory, 'cuz the Davit-arm bearing was siezed and the rear door couldn't be opened. And still hasn't been replaced about 13+ years on (I queried some contractors who have been working in that plant about it last weekend when I had them in working on my current charge, at its inspection).

And then there was the rotting condensate-drain lines in the Ammonia-refrigeration plant that someone just "plated over" when they started leaking, that the Maintenance Manager and I had to "sneak" into an expense-report to get replaced, because "There is no money in the Capital-Improvement Projects Budget to replace them at this time"..............

Heh.

We have the Honeywell 7800 series on just about everything now, a few BC7000's and a couple of the conversions that use a 7800 box on a BC7000 base plate, 7840's or something like that...they work pretty well. All the boilers we have to climb in you either pull out the burner and register assembly or there's a bolt on manway into the firebox.

I'm really fortunate that my employer doesn't pull sh*tters on maintenance, I have to present a business case why I need anything over $10k but anything under that is on my signature and anything over that is fairly easy to get through. The latest was converting 60 year old float type water columns and LWCO's to new probe type primary and secondary low water cut-outs at $30k a pop. I showed them the scuff marks on the float where the deteriorating liner was entrapping the float and said if this fails worst case is a big hole in the ground and a bunch of dead bodies...... They figured $30k was an entirely reasonable bid and let me award the job LOL

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #15
pushrod
Founding Member

Honsbeek,

Try the easy answer first.

Get a big handful of paper towel. Put on some plastic gloves, if you value your cuticles. And any nail polish, if you do that kind of thing.

Spray a goodly amount of brake cleaner into the paper towel.

Clean the rotors. This works much better if you can get the front off the ground, but any way works.

If that doesn't work, then apply the goo.

You may also want, while you're futzing around in the area, to make sure all the rotor bobbins are free. They tend to gunk up, and can throw a bit of vibration or pulsing into the brake lever when the rotor can't move.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #16
honsbeek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
It's called Disc Brake Quiet made by CRC and sold through NAPA and other places I would assume. It's like orange silicone seal that goes on the back of the pads and eliminates high frequency vibrations or "squeal"

I personally would be a little more appreciative when asking for and receiving advice.
"Thanks in Advance" and "Thanks for the feedback"

Is there such a thing as brake alignment in motorcycles ?
honsbeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #17
honsbeek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Honsbeek,

Try the easy answer first.

Get a big handful of paper towel. Put on some plastic gloves, if you value your cuticles. And any nail polish, if you do that kind of thing.

Spray a goodly amount of brake cleaner into the paper towel.

Clean the rotors. This works much better if you can get the front off the ground, but any way works.

If that doesn't work, then apply the goo.

You may also want, while you're futzing around in the area, to make sure all the rotor bobbins are free. They tend to gunk up, and can throw a bit of vibration or pulsing into the brake lever when the rotor can't move.
Wow , How I could I have not thought of the easy answer first , thanks for that , and about those bobbins , so when you say "gunk up" I would think to clean them out aswell? Spray some disk cleaner in the bobbin area to get them looser ?

Thanks a lot for the kind help
Old 08-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #18
honsbeek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Check to see if the pads and pistons are retracking evenly? Check for the wheel to spin freely.Not cleaning the outer part of the pistons can eventually lead to the seals being dragged out once the new set is worn out. Plus it also creates one side of the pads in the caliper to drag against the rotor. Good luck, now back to the bolier room antics,...
Thanks for your thoughts,

You mentioned "Not cleaning the outer part of the pistons can eventually lead to the seals being dragged out" So how do I go about trying to clean the outer part of the pistons? Does it require disassembly ?

Thanks again
Old 08-18-2009, 06:09 AM   #19
pushrod
Founding Member

honsbeek,

Moke1k's advice concerning pistons and mine on the bobbins are 'by the way' issues. Your squeaking and squealing are disc or pad issues.

Assuming that you have no pulsing in the brake lever, and that the old pads were evenly worn, that is.

Try cleaning the rotors. I'm fairly certain that will quiet the front end. Mine tends to get noisy after I've ridden in the rain, and I get road mung on the rotors.

Good luck!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #20
SmokeU
Registered Member

Just imagine if you had a Madura. Then you'd have to pull off the pads and wheel in a new bike.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote