Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
lari
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 22
Default exup !!$%&/&%

i recently restored a fazer 1000 with a big crash...now it,s almost perfect i´m having problems with the exup valve.
there´s no malfunction or code..i checked exactly like the worksop manual..cables, conections,and electric motor(this one works fine with code 53 (testing sensors & actuators) but the bike continuously missfire when i shut off the acelerator...
this valve must to be closed when idle???
with everything conected there´s no move on the valve along all the rpm´s

sorry about my english friends!!
lari is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Sounds like the valve is broken.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:40 AM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member
 
pushrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Baja 'Bama
Posts: 3,642
Default

This is a wild guess, but are you sure you have no intake leaks?

That is, assuming you are backfiring and not just misfiring. And the backfiring is from the intake.

If you are getting backfire from the pipe, you may have a fueling problem.
__________________
You would not understand,
this is not how I am...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lari View Post
i recently restored a fazer 1000 with a big crash...now it,s almost perfect i´m having problems with the exup valve.
there´s no malfunction or code..i checked exactly like the worksop manual..cables, conections,and electric motor(this one works fine with code 53 (testing sensors & actuators) but the bike continuously missfire when i shut off the acelerator...
this valve must to be closed when idle???
with everything conected there´s no move on the valve along all the rpm´s

sorry about my english friends!!


I don't think much of my English friends either.

I'm assuming the valve is free and actually moves by hand? Did you try hooking an amp meter to the valve and increasing the throttle? I would assume you'd get an increase in amps as the RPM increase telling the valve to open..That would tell you if the valve was getting a signal or not
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
lari
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 22
Default

i´m going to refrase the question: the exup valve moves freely on the muffler by hand,but there´s no move in all the rpm range. the servo motor works fine whith the testing mode(close and open).
if the valve is always open. could i have backfirings??
lari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
MOKE1K
Registered Member
 
MOKE1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kalapana, Big Island
Posts: 3,994
Cool

Sarnali2 is correct you should get a reading while twisting the throttle open. Iam curious to know if the test you did on the servo motor is accurate and matches the spesifications in the Yamaha manual?
__________________
"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
lari
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 22
Default f$%&/&& exup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Sarnali2 is correct you should get a reading while twisting the throttle open. Iam curious to know if the test you did on the servo motor is accurate and matches the spesifications in the Yamaha manual?
there´s a specific test for the valve on the worksop manual.i did it and it´s all under the spec. but when i start the bike there´s no move on the valve, and i think that when the bike´s idling it must close the valve and open at ???rpm´s

ps:there´no leaks of any kind...i tested just in case!!
lari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lari View Post
there´s a specific test for the valve on the worksop manual.i did it and it´s all under the spec. but when i start the bike there´s no move on the valve, and i think that when the bike´s idling it must close the valve and open at ???rpm´s

ps:there´no leaks of any kind...i tested just in case!!
Component bench-testing only gets you so far - can you remove enough stuff to see if the valve moves when the bike is running? If not, and you're getting proper signal to the valve - even if it "tests" OK - the servo's bad. Plain and simple.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Possibly the servo motor in the valve has gone bad.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
MOKE1K
Registered Member
 
MOKE1K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kalapana, Big Island
Posts: 3,994
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lari View Post
there´s a specific test for the valve on the worksop manual.i did it and it´s all under the spec. but when i start the bike there´s no move on the valve, and i think that when the bike´s idling it must close the valve and open at ???rpm´s

ps:there´no leaks of any kind...i tested just in case!!
The servo motor should adjust itself as soon the key is turned on. If its not performing this procedure then it may not be opening at all when your riding it.
__________________
"YOU CAN'T BOLT ON SKILL"
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off