Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 08-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #31
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
That's still 11 years ago.......I still don't believe that you could go buy an '09 or '10 GSXR, R1, CBR, Ninja, Triumph or any other modern sportbike and gain usable performance by just adding a slip on. New bikes are dialin in so tight that any change is going to be for the worse unless you go full boat pipe, plus download plus air cleaner and even then the gains are going to be negligable on the street
Depends on where you ride and how good you are at using it. I lived in Arizona and rode to places like Prescott. Out their its usable. Besides like a broken record the biggest gain for me is off idle or coming off idle.
Rolling on the gas even if your at 7grand. With a properly tuned full exhaust you rid yourself of the hesitation. Havent any of you noticed this common problem with any bike in stock form?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #32
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Depends on where you ride and how good you are at using it. I lived in Arizona and rode to places like Prescott. Out their its usable. Besides like a broken record the biggest gain for me is off idle or coming off idle.
Rolling on the gas even if your at 7grand. With a properly tuned full exhaust you rid yourself of the hesitation. Havent any of you noticed this common problem with any bike in stock form?

My Concours has no fueling or hesitation issues at any speed.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #33
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
The problem is, the 500R is at the "ragged edge" in stock form: so that doesn't do anything but make noise and spend money.............

Is it? I have no experience with them, only what I've read on some forums. I was thinking they made decent gains with exhaust/carb work.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm not sure what the argument is about. Changing exhausts without rejetting/mapping more often reduces performance than it helps. This is true. Many bikes can benefit from rejetting even when stock because they run so lean for emissions reasons. This is why new exhausts without rejetting is usually pointless.... too lean already. Even when you do properly rejet the gains on modern bikes are often not that substantial. Sometines they are. All I've been saying is that one should do the whole treatment or not at all. And even then don't expect a lot. It's not the 70s any more.

But if the plethora of loud pipes ends up in more draconian legislation there will be consequences for the @ssholes who brought it about. I have a lot of sugar.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #35
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
My Concours has no fueling or hesitation issues at any speed.
It usually derives from a lean mixture from the factory. Iam sure your air/mixture screws are capped off. If they are, you should see what they are set at. Iam sure they are on the lean side. If you experience a custom map you'll notice that you did have a hesitation which you probably never noticed until it was corrected. A custom map will really open up your eyes.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #36
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I'm not sure what the argument is about. Changing exhausts without rejetting/mapping more often reduces performance than it helps. This is true. Many bikes can benefit from rejetting even when stock because they run so lean for emissions reasons. This is why new exhausts without rejetting is usually pointless.... too lean already. Even when you do properly rejet the gains on modern bikes are often not that substantial. Sometines they are. All I've been saying is that one should do the whole treatment or not at all. And even then don't expect a lot. It's not the 70s any more.

But if the plethora of loud pipes ends up in more draconian legislation there will be consequences for the @ssholes who brought it about. I have a lot of sugar.
No argument there, changing exhaust without remap or rejet is common knowledge. It sounds like you'll be the one heading the ban? Thats what I dont get. Let em do what they want. Who cares if its done improperly, I dont.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #37
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
It usually derives from a lean mixture from the factory. Iam sure your air/mixture screws are capped off. If they are, you should see what they are set at. Iam sure they are on the lean side. If you experience a custom map you'll notice that you did have a hesitation which you probably never noticed until it was corrected. A custom map will really open up your eyes.

I can't get a custom map for carbs. I've ridden many bikes, I know what a bit of hesitation is, and I do not experience any. By the smell and slight discoloration of the exhaust outlets, it's not anywhere near being too lean either.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #38
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
I can't get a custom map for carbs. I've ridden many bikes, I know what a bit of hesitation is, and I do not experience any. By the smell and slight discoloration of the exhaust outlets, it's not anywhere near being too lean either.
So your on the older version. Try putting it on a ega machine that will tell you for sure. Maybe its not too lean but I can guarantee there is a small hesitation. Maybe its so slight you dont feel it? Usually a jetkit alone with uncapping your air/fuel mixture screws and setting them will give you a new outlook.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #39
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
So your on the older version. Try putting it on a ega machine that will tell you for sure. Maybe its not too lean but I can guarantee there is a small hesitation. Maybe its so slight you dont feel it? Usually a jetkit alone with uncapping your air/fuel mixture screws and setting them will give you a new outlook.

It's not the "older" version, it's the "other" version. Damnit.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #40
SmokeU
Registered Member

I do say that after 50K miles it seems to be more powerful now than when it had 6K.