Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   Stirring another pot (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/12807-stirring-another-pot.html)

SmokeU 08-12-2009 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 221497)
Well 9 out of 10 women prefer Snap-On tools.....

The other likes Mac tools.

MOKE1K 08-12-2009 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 221358)
Yes? And? All I said is that putting on a slipon will usually harm performance and it is true. Sorry if you don't like it. Dyno charts from pipe manufacturers are worthless. Only idiots believe them.

What does racing have to do with it? Less than 1% of the owners of replicas actually race them. And race bikes make banging noises? Well, duh. They also rebuild the engines frequently. In pro racing every hp helps. For the average sport biker, it's just noise and 3 hp at the top end is pretty much useless on public roads. If people like them them I don't care, they just need to set the mixture so they don't reveal themselves as idiots.

In any case some day the cops will start pulling over loud bikes and impounding them if there's no DOT stamp on the muffler and I'll pop a beer as the owners pony up the $25,000 fines.

Actually I'v seen some pretty good gains from just doing slipons and adding a jet kit or a remap. But our problem is those gains beit 5hp or 11hp are not worth it too you. I understand that and respect that, for me I dont agree. Maybe alot of people dont gain alot from it and just want it for sound, or looks but dont stereo type all of these people. The sportbike rider of today is a bit more educated than in days past imo.

I also understand your problem with most of the people who have
it tuned improperly or just like the loud blistering sound. I hate all the busas that run absolutly no baffles. I also hate the Harley rider that does the same thing. Both groups dont have a clue the punched out baffles make them lose hp. Which brings up another similarity between these two groups what about the poser on the cruiser bike that does the same thing, hes not a real biker? How dare he run an aftermarket exhaust. Hes not a real hells angel? Most race replicas are just that, "a racebike" sure they arent racing it, at least not on a track. But still its a performance oriented motorcycle. So between the two groups I could understand it more with a sportbike, not a cruiser. Hey once they start handing out tickets I'll remove it but until then you'll have to endure the noise. God whinning old lady, sorry but cha do?

The_AirHawk 08-12-2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 221504)
Actually I'v seen some pretty good gains from just doing slipons and adding a jet kit or a remap. But our problem is those gains beit 5hp or 11hp are not worth it too you.

But you're seeing those "gains" less and less often - and the gains are less and less quantifiable. This isn't the '80s anymore, it would seem.........

MOKE1K 08-12-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 221511)
But you're seeing those "gains" less and less often - and the gains are less and less quantifiable. This isn't the '80s anymore, it would seem.........

Agreed the header pipes are getting very good. But 92-98 is when I worked on our dyno in Honolulu not in the 80's and saw good gains, sometimes more than full exhausts.

sarnali2 08-12-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 221516)
Agreed the header pipes are getting very good. But 92-98 is when I worked on our dyno in Honolulu not in the 80's and saw good gains, sometimes more than full exhausts.

That's still 11 years ago.......I still don't believe that you could go buy an '09 or '10 GSXR, R1, CBR, Ninja, Triumph or any other modern sportbike and gain usable performance by just adding a slip on. New bikes are dialin in so tight that any change is going to be for the worse unless you go full boat pipe, plus download plus air cleaner and even then the gains are going to be negligable on the street

SmokeU 08-12-2009 10:21 AM

So let's all buy Ninja 500Rs and pipe them so we can see decent gains.

longride 08-12-2009 10:24 AM

"I still don't believe that you could go buy an '09 or '10 GSXR, R1, CBR, Ninja, Triumph or any other modern sportbike and gain usable performance by just adding a slip on."

Do you mean it's kinda like ordering a 3 lb steak when you can't even eat a 2 lb steak? 99% of the riders can't even get close to riding these bikes anywhere near their potential stone dead stock, much less with any modifications. Why do you think all the liter bikes come with switches that move the horsepower of the bike downward?

The_AirHawk 08-12-2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeU (Post 221524)
So let's all buy Ninja 500Rs and pipe them so we can see decent gains.

The problem is, the 500R is at the "ragged edge" in stock form: so that doesn't do anything but make noise and spend money.............

Kenneth_Moore 08-12-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 221525)
Why do you think all the liter bikes come with switches that move the horsepower of the bike downward?

To reduce warranty claims for sphincter bite marks in new bike seats?

The_AirHawk 08-12-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 221525)
"I still don't believe that you could go buy an '09 or '10 GSXR, R1, CBR, Ninja, Triumph or any other modern sportbike and gain usable performance by just adding a slip on."

Do you mean it's kinda like ordering a 3 lb steak when you can't even eat a 2 lb steak? 99% of the riders can't even get close to riding these bikes anywhere near their potential stone dead stock, much less with any modifications. Why do you think all the liter bikes come with switches that move the horsepower of the bike downward?

So the Trackkies will have something to brag about to the Posers down at the Burger Barn?