Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 08-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
srlough
Registered Member

Default 1984 Virago xv1000 - Turn signasl/hazards not working

Last year my turn signals would work intermittently. Of course, when my local shop went to check out the problem, the signals worked fine and the service guy suggested it might be a short in the wiring.

Today, they stopped working all together. The signal lights will not respond with the hazard switch is turned on as well.

With this new development, I would guess the flasher unit went out. Would this be reasonable or could it be something else?
srlough is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Good assumption. You checked the fuse, right?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
srlough
Registered Member

Good question...no I have not. Will take a look tomorrow. Thanks for pointing that out, didn't even think about it.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
srlough
Registered Member

I went out to check the fuses - and of course, the blasted thing works now. Is it possible that the auto cancel is not working properly? If so, is that function incorporated in the flasher relay or the switch itself? In either case, is it possible to jump the wiring so the auto-cancel function is over-ridden?
Old 08-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

F*ck it. just take the dam turn signals OFF. No one pays attention to a bike anyway. You could send up flares and have a loud claxon horn to iindicate a left turn, and still some old bat in an Electra 225 will dust you off.

Better to keep 'em guessing. I say. Remember, Offensive riding works better than defensive riding. The minute you relax, BAM...some paramedic's pulling you out of a Caddy's wheel-well.

Also, being that I've owned a couple of Viragos, put some straight-pipes on it. Not only will it look better, it will run better to. Those stupid looking chromed trumpet jobs have to go. Raise the carb diaphram needle up with a little washer, two if you live at low elevations.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
srlough
Registered Member

ha, ha, ha - thanks for the advise mscuddy. If it wasn't for state inspections, I probably wouldn't care about it too much. Mine has to be done this month, so all I can do is hope they work then, or i'll be forced to fix it.

BTW, I do have shotgun pipes on it, not stock. Love the sound of it. People can hear me way before they see me - except for the person in the Electra 225 .