Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 07-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
kouie
Registered Member

Default is it really neccessary to remap?

i own a 2009 harley davidson nightster...i just finished putting on a screamin eagle heavy breather and vance and hines full exhaust kit...it backfired on me a couple of times after my first ride...i talked to vance and hines and they said i had to remap my bike...i read somewhere that it isnt neccessary to remap with newer bikes...which one is it?
kouie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yes, you have to re-map the ECM, TPS & MAP sensor to take into account more air flowing through the motor. Backfiring could either indicate an overly lean condiiton, or an exhaust leak somewhere in the system (most likely where the head pipes slip into the collectors). Also check the exhaust pipe flange at the exhaust port. Engine control modules make tiny adjustments for opened up intake and exhaust systems, but not enough to make any difference where roasted valves are a defenite possibility.

Failing to do that might void the warranty, and burn up some exhaust valves down the line. You can lessen this issue by clogging up the pipes with steel wool, but you want that neat ear splitting, car alarm tripping rolling thunder sound, now dontcha...
Old 07-29-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouie View Post
i own a 2009 harley davidson nightster...i just finished putting on a screamin eagle heavy breather and vance and hines full exhaust kit...it backfired on me a couple of times after my first ride...i talked to vance and hines and they said i had to remap my bike...i read somewhere that it isnt neccessary to remap with newer bikes...which one is it?
You need the remap or a Power Commander replacement ECU. If the exhaust change is a one-time deal and you don't plan further mods, go to the HD shop and pay them to do it. They'll charge you for a stupid cartridge that has the new map on it, which they use once and throw away. If you plan further changes to the engine, pony up the $300-$400 for the Power Commander and you can do the same thing with a PC.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
If you plan further changes to the engine, pony up the $300-$400 for the Power Commander and you can do the same thing with a PC.

Assuming he can operate a PC.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
kouie
Registered Member

Oh...how to operate a pc? Hmmm...sounds tough. Why don't u go **** yourself. If you're not gonna answer my question don't post a reply jackass!
kouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeU View Post
Assuming he can operate a PC.
I think he has the PC part down ok.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I think he has the PC part down ok.

I don't know, that has yet to be determined.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

I think kouie could fit right in here.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

Kouie- typing in a forum and operating a PC or laptop for re-mapping is just a bit different from one another.
Ultimately, you need to dyno-tune the bike while re-mapping: Why- says the young jedi student?: Because maps are different and your state of tune is everything. Say for example you want peak HP because you like riding at a flat out pace. That map will be different than the map that drives that torque curve. So, ask yourself this question: Do I have enough experience with EFI and a computer to do this without having to put it on a dyno? You may well have that experience, but from your earlier post I'd say you need professional help to sort it out.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I gotta remap every time I go on a trip - I hate foldin' them things up, and usually end up tearing holes in 'em. Good thing most States have 'em for free at them "Welcome Centers"..............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote