Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 07-22-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
dailyroach
Registered Member

Default GN250 stator wiring

Im looking for a bit of help on this one 1983 gn250 came to me as a wreck and im fixing her up

the wires i have from the stator are 3x yellow the plug has been removed
and the wires on the loom side connector are 1x yellow 1x white with blue stripe and 1x white with green stripe

what id love to know

1. Is the output from each winding suppose to be the same eg: they made it different colors for no good reason and i can just connect any of the three yellow wires to any position on the loom

2.if they are not all the same how to tell what windings connect to what colors on the loom eg:winding one produces x amount of volts ac and should be connected to the white and green wire

i have the full workshop manual an aftermarket color wiring diagram and its still unclear as to the correct
setup

thx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg statorwires.jpg (44.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg loomplug.jpg (43.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by dailyroach : 07-22-2009 at 11:36 PM.
dailyroach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I can't see your pics, just little red "x's", but the three yellow stator wires are each one phase of the alternator's windings - and should all be essentially identical in output.

Each are interchangeable. If the bike runs backward, just reverse any two of the yellow wires..........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
dailyroach
Registered Member

hmm dunno bout the pics i must be doing somthing wrong there

thx for the help my old bike is a 2stroke yamaha and has a single phase stator that im quite good at fixing .

I belive as you say that the GN has three identical windings with the same output so does that make it an (alternator) with the regulator/rec joing the three "phases" together to gain a cleaner dc current am i on the right track here ???
Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailyroach View Post

thx for the help my old bike is a 2stroke yamaha and has a single phase stator that im quite good at fixing .

I belive as you say that the GN has three identical windings with the same output so does that make it an (alternator) with the regulator/rec joing the three "phases" together to gain a cleaner dc current am i on the right track here ???
That's pretty-much the sum of it.

It's "better" than a single-phase; but still saddled with the permanent-magnet "excitation", and the regulation strategy of dumping excess power as heat - most bike charging-systems still have a ways to go, if one is looking for "output".
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Someday, within our lifetimes, this site may allow it's paid subscribers to post photos correctly. It's a dream we all share.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailyroach View Post

Pics haven't worked for months. You can put them up for free on photobucket and then link to them.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
dailyroach
Registered Member

thx for the support yes it looks like im on my way to getting this bike up and running and my understanding of this new electric system has greatly improved with your help so thankyou.