Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 07-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
cbrn
Registered Member

Default help with 98 cbr

I am having a problem with my cbr 600 and dont know what to do next. A couple weeks back the bike died when I was out on a ride, starting to buck and then all the lights dimmed right before the bike shut down. It would not start back up and the eventually the battery died completely. It seemed to be electrical. i recharged the battery the next day and drove it back home but the same problem kept happening so I was able to diagnose it as the regualtor rectafier by checking current and amps. After buying the new part and installing it i thought the bike would be fixed but yesturday the same problem occured again. the rectafier got real hot on the ride and i am wondering if that is normal as it must have been working harder than normal. WHAT COULD BE WRONG?
cbrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrn View Post
I am having a problem with my cbr 600 and dont know what to do next. A couple weeks back the bike died when I was out on a ride, starting to buck and then all the lights dimmed right before the bike shut down. It would not start back up and the eventually the battery died completely. It seemed to be electrical. i recharged the battery the next day and drove it back home but the same problem kept happening so I was able to diagnose it as the regualtor rectafier by checking current and amps. After buying the new part and installing it i thought the bike would be fixed but yesturday the same problem occured again. the rectafier got real hot on the ride and i am wondering if that is normal as it must have been working harder than normal. WHAT COULD BE WRONG?
Sounds like a short somewhere. Since I don't like to mess with electrical stuff, I would take it to the dealer & have them diagnose it. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

I's look for any bad connections, bare wires, pinched wires, etc. Check the stator and rotor resistances as well.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member

You may have a bad alternator. Especially if you've lost only one side.

That might cause the hot R/R and the lack of power.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
cbrn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
You may have a bad alternator. Especially if you've lost only one side.

That might cause the hot R/R and the lack of power.
is there an alternator on the bike? i thought it was just the stater and regulator rectafier, but if there is then maybe thats why I havent been able to diagnose it
cbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
MOKE1K
Registered Member

The charging system on this bike is very simple it is composed of the Battery, the stator, and the regulator/rectifier. The Battery makes Dc not ac(opps) current and sends it too the reg.rec which inturn changes Ac current into Dc. Then it returns to the Battery. Speaking of which did you change your battery? Does it still hold a good charge? If so then,..

Ultimately, you need to know if the charging system is doing its job by charging back to the battery. Checking that is simple get a multimeter and set it to DCV. Positive to positive terminal of battery Negative to negative. With bike running Rev the throttle to 5k rpm and check to see if your Battery voltage rises to around 14volts and remands.If not check the stator. Also retrack and retest the new reg/rec. Gooood Luck. Iam deffinatley not the brightest in the bunch when it comes to electrical.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 07-19-2009 at 10:00 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
The charging system on this bike is very simple it is composed of the Battery, the stator, and the regulator/rectifier. The Battery makes Ac current and sends it too the reg.rec which inturn changes Ac current into Dc. Then it returns to the Battery. Speaking of which did you change your battery? Does it still hold a good charge? If so then,..

Ultimately, you need to know if the charging system is doing its job by charging back to the battery. Checking that is simple get a multimeter and set it to DCV. Positive to positive terminal of battery Negative to negative. With bike running Rev the throttle to 5k rpm and check to see if your Battery voltage rises to around 14volts and remands.If not check the stator. Also retrack and retest the new reg/rec. Gooood Luck. Iam deffinatley not the brightest in the bunch when it comes to electrical.
Are you F'n HIGH, MOKE?

Battery power is DC.

Typical motorcycle charging system is a 3-phase, permanent-magnet alternator, with an output of around 50-60volts AC (frequency and voltage vary with engine RPM), then run through a bank of diodes arranged in a half-bridge (usually) configuration to rectify it to DC. The regulator merely switches excess voltage into a resistive shunt that's thermally-connected to the Reg/Rec casing - excess voltage is disippated as heat - and if it cannot shed that heat effectively, failure is imminent............

This is the EXACT reason you should never jump-start a Motorcycle from a running automobile; If the charging system of the car is regulated to say, 14.45 volts, and the FET in the Moto Reg/Rec starts shunting at 14.25 volts............... guess which component loses this pushy-pulley match?

Hint: it won't be anything attached to 4-wheels.

Clean and check ALL of your grounds and battery connections. A bad ground will cause the FET to shunt current to the heatsink. Make certain that the Reg/Rec is securely fastened to the frame of the moto: if there was some silvery grease/paste under the old Reg/Rec, you're gonna have to find some heatsink compound to help shed that heat: silver anti-seize works in a pinch (not ideal, but OK). If there was any type of baffle or plastic part that directed outside-air to the Reg/Rec, make CERTAIN it's in place. If you took it off and left it off 'cuz "Man, that thing's too much trouble to put back in", you made a Mistake. Correct it.

Have the battery load-tested. If it's even "iffy" - it's bad. Make certain the replacement is a "spillproof" type, no matter WHAT brand you buy.

Set your DMM to "AC", and check the voltage coming from each of the three yellow wires coming from the Stator - you should have close to 50volts or more at high-idle. If not - Stator's bad.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 07-19-2009 at 09:58 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member

So Iv had a couple of beers? Take it easy, I meant to say: The battery makes DC current? Jezz At least I told him to set it to dcv?
Old 07-20-2009, 05:34 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
So Iv had a couple of beers? Take it easy, I meant to say: The battery makes DC current? Jezz At least I told him to set it to dcv?
You can't bolt on knowledge!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Nor can you bolt on Personality, Heart, or Compassion Guess you didnt like the picture huh?....