Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 07-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #11
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
So Iv had a couple of beers? Take it easy, I meant to say: The battery makes DC current? Jezz At least I told him to set it to dcv?
Actually, I was just givin' you a hard time, Moke.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Nor can you bolt on Personality, Heart, or Compassion Guess you didnt like the picture huh?....
I thought your picture of me was fantastic! That was one of my better days too!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Alright cool, I thought it was perfect!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Alright cool, I thought it was perfect!
And I think you are perfect MOKE.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
cbrn
Registered Member

some additional advice would be greatly appreciated......
i checked all my connections and all my wiring and everything looks good besides the fact that my stater is only pushing out 19 amps when at idle, is it supposed to be much higher? is it definently this or could this be caused by something else? i have already bought a new regulator rectafier and would like to avoid buying a new stater if that is not the problem
cbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #16
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrn View Post
some additional advice would be greatly appreciated......
i checked all my connections and all my wiring and everything looks good besides the fact that my stater is only pushing out 19 amps when at idle, is it supposed to be much higher? is it definently this or could this be caused by something else? i have already bought a new regulator rectafier and would like to avoid buying a new stater if that is not the problem
Can't you have the stator bench-checked at an alternator/starter repair shop? If so, I would do that first. Can it be rebuilt? Not sure on that one.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #17
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

RM Stator - Stator, High Performance CDI Box, Regulator Rectifier, High Output Generator, Yamaha Stator, Honda Stator, Stator Repair, Arctic cat ZR stator, Arctic cat thundercat stator, Ski-doo stator repair,Yamaha Warrior stator,Yamaha Grizzly stato

Good folks.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #18
cbrn
Registered Member

I am ready to dump this bike in the river and start from scratch. After close to a month of trying to figure out what was wrong with it I gave up and brought it to the shop to get diagnosed. They found that the "new" reg/rec was not pushing out enough power to charge the battery and decided that it was almost definitly a cheap, faulty part. Bought a new one and believed that I once again solved the problem but the same this happened again today; with it dying as I was riding and not having a charge on the battery. I saw a guy as I was broken down who told me he had the same problem with his 1994 cbr600 and the only fix he could find was to install a reg/rec that had an additional part built on that kept it from frying out. Is this a possible option or was this guy just pulling my chain, Otherwise what is wrong and what can I do?
cbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #19
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrn View Post
I am ready to dump this bike in the river and start from scratch. After close to a month of trying to figure out what was wrong with it I gave up and brought it to the shop to get diagnosed. They found that the "new" reg/rec was not pushing out enough power to charge the battery and decided that it was almost definitly a cheap, faulty part. Bought a new one and believed that I once again solved the problem but the same this happened again today; with it dying as I was riding and not having a charge on the battery. I saw a guy as I was broken down who told me he had the same problem with his 1994 cbr600 and the only fix he could find was to install a reg/rec that had an additional part built on that kept it from frying out. Is this a possible option or was this guy just pulling my chain, Otherwise what is wrong and what can I do?
I have never heard of an additional part that is conected to the regualtor? The system doesnt hav alot to it. Battery, stator, reg/rec?

Was the regulator brand new when you bought it? Or used? was you battery fully charged and good?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

If it keeps blowing regulators it is possible that you have an intermittent short to ground or possibly an intermittent open. This causes the regulator to spike to max output constantly and can burn out a solid state regulator. Check the rotor and stator. I would very carefully inspect all the connections to and from the regulator, stator and anything else in the charging circuit. Wiggle wires while testing with an ohmmeter. Disconnect, clean with contact cleaner and reseat all connectors. Pull asnd reseat them several times while looking for corrosion. You can clean corrosion with a common pencil eraser.

Some Hondas do have regulator problems but usually regulators will last several years. There is probably something wrong that your mechanic missed.

It is possible that someone has an aftermarket regulator or modification to address this issue. You need to do some Googling and join some CBR sites to see if there is a common fix for this problem.

Last edited by seruzawa : 08-25-2009 at 02:10 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote