Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 07-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
AndyW
Registered Member

Angry Vibration with 2009 VSTAR 1100 classic

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2009 Yamaha VSTAR 1100 Classic and I feel a vibration in high gear over 100km (70mph). It feels like the motor is going to blow. I'm kind of disappointed because it's a new bike and the mechanic that I took it to (where I purchased the bike says it's the nature of the bike). I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or problems with this issue. I've always driven a Honda this is my first Yamaha. Never had this issue before.

All advice is welcome.

Andy:
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Try googling for a V-Star forum. There may be other owners who have had the same issue.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
MOKE1K
Registered Member

How bad is the vibration? Can you maybe ride another one and compair? We had a customer that complained about the same thing on his brand new Gladius (bought at another dealer). So we serviced out a brand new one on the floor and let him ride it about 2miles. He returned with a smile and said ah, ok thanks. Thats a customer for life!
Old 07-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
MOKE1K
Registered Member

The other thing that I wonder is what is your experience, how many different bikes have you owned? How many miles have you ridden in total-every bike youve owned. The internet sometimes hurts more than it helps and its a great place to find people who think they have a problem and make a mountain out of a mole-hill. Not speaking of you of course but people you might find on the net that will lead you to believe you have a problem.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:02 AM   #5
SmokeU
Registered Member

V-twins do tend to vibrate a bit at speed. Especially solid mounted non-90 degree vees.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Although you'd expect some vibrations from your V-Twin, it should never be enough to make you wonder if the bike is going to self-destruct. That's way too much for this bike.

There are two characteristic forms of vibration: engine-based or wheel/suspension based. is it a shimmy or shaking feeling coming through the handlebars, or do you feel it coming through the seat as if from the engine? It might be a simple wheel balance issue, or it could be a poorly assembled engine. See if you can get some details and report back.

I'd be relentless with the dealer. If you have a bum engine you want to document it and get your service ticket history in place. Most states have a Lemon Law that you may have to resort to. That's a $10k bike and there's no reason you should have to put up with this. If you don't like the dealer you started with, go to the next closest one.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
SmokeU
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Although you'd expect some vibrations from your V-Twin, it should never be enough to make you wonder if the bike is going to self-destruct. That's way too much for this bike.

There are two characteristic forms of vibration: engine-based or wheel/suspension based. is it a shimmy or shaking feeling coming through the handlebars, or do you feel it coming through the seat as if from the engine? It might be a simple wheel balance issue, or it could be a poorly assembled engine. See if you can get some details and report back.

I'd be relentless with the dealer. If you have a bum engine you want to document it and get your service ticket history in place. Most states have a Lemon Law that you may have to resort to. That's a $10k bike and there's no reason you should have to put up with this. If you don't like the dealer you started with, go to the next closest one.

I don't know Ken, those pre-TC88B HD Softails were pretty bad. The Shadow VLX I had felt like a giant vibrator at high(75ish) speeds. I say 75 because that's all it'd do with a headwind. Gutless unbreakable thing it was.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Virago's are pretty smooth. Excessive vibration points to bad crankshaft bearings, a bad mainshaft in the transmission, or the shaft drive is shot, and telegraphing the vibes back to the motor. Does it get real hot when this happens? Might be an oil pressure issue too...

Since it's a 2009 have someone steal it and get another one, sounds like you got a lemon. I know this guy in Long Beach...