Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 06-30-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
CPY
Registered Member

Default Need Help.clutch Master Cylinder.

i got the brilliant idea to change the clutch oil..disconnected the line from the cylinder.opened the bleeder.blew air threw to clean out all the old oil.
then after drying the cylinder with a clean rag blew air into it once again to get the old out where the bolt for the line enters.put back together,filled with dot 4 oil,put back the gasket,the plastic lid and the cover.bled the line.only problem is i now have no clutch!!!. no pressure when squeezing the handle.so then i blew air from the bleeder back up the line.re-bled the line.filled the cylinder up again.still no pressure on the clutch handle,hence no clutch..i have the schematic for the master cylinder.can anyone help please? thanks in advance.
CPY is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"i got the brilliant idea to change the clutch oil..disconnected the line from the cylinder.opened the bleeder.blew air threw to clean out all the old oil.

You didn't need to do all that. You just needed to empty the master cylinder, and put in new oil, and then open the bleeder while squeezing the lever and close it after the squeeze. You can flush the whole system that way. Obviously you still have some air in the system. Instead of blowing the air into the bleeder, get a syringe and push the fluid in from the bottom up. That should dislodge any bubbles and get you going.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
CPY
Registered Member

thanks for the quick response.now i just have to find a syringe.MY DILLEMMA though is i open the bleeder and plenty of fluid runs out without any air bubbles while squeezing the handle

Last edited by CPY : 06-30-2009 at 06:48 AM.
CPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

There's an option to LR's method:

Find some clear tubing that will fit over the bleed nipple (heh heh heh) on the slave cylinder. Lead the tube to a small jar with 1/2" of hydraulic oil in the bottom. Open the master reservoir and begin pumping the handle slowly. You should see air and fluid coming out of the slave cylinder into the jar. When the bubbles stop and there's just fluid, close the nipple (heh heh heh) and reseal the master cylinder.

BTW: Sometimes the air will seep upward and out of the lines if you're patient. I've tie-wrapped the lever in the open position and left the cover loose; rocking the bike and tapping the cylinders gently can help work the air out.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I use a bottle with a cap and two clear hoses and make sure its an air tight seal. Running one hose on one side of the cap and a long hose on the opposite side. The longer hose should be an air tight seal and fit on the bleed nipple.

Even if the line is empty it still shouldn't take long to get some pressure built back up into the line. Also remeber you can bleed it off the line that goes to the master cylinder which can save alot of time if air is trapped towards the top off the line. Good luck, Oh most importantly make sure you have a wet towel and a spray bottle with water, incase you get brake fliud on the paint, or anywhere else for that matter.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 06-30-2009 at 11:21 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
SmokeU
Registered Member

I was lazy and had my Kawi dealer do it this spring.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Bleeding brake lines:

-get large jar and put 1" of brake fluid in it.
-Put an 8mm box end wrench (preferably 6 point) on the nipple.
-Get a clear plastic hose that fits tightly on the nipple and put the loose end in the jar below the fluid level.
- Get a screwdriver and some rubber bands and place the handle of the screwdriver on the handlegrip between the brake lever and the grip. You don't want to squeeze the handle too far as it may damage the piston.
- Clean the master cylinder reservoir and remove the cap. Place a rag over the top of the open reservoir because fluid may squirt through the return hole and get all over everything. Brake fluid is corrosive as Moke kindly mentioned.
- Have a large bottle of the proper fluid handy.
- Now squeeze the handle gently and reach down with your other handle and loosen the nipple with the wrench. The handle will now squeeze easily as fluid pumps through the hose. Close the nipple before you release the handle so you don't just draw fluid and air back into the caliper.
- Repeat the routine of squeeze, loosen, squeeze, tighten, release - until she has an orgasm.
- Now go out and do all the above to your motorcycle until all the air is expelled from the line. Watch the reservoir so it doesn't run out of fluid. Make sure that you pump it a few times after you see no more bubbles just to be sure.
-Discard the motorcycle.

Last edited by seruzawa : 06-30-2009 at 10:01 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Wax on wax off, no forget to breath.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

A lot of people use mayonaisse in their clutch hydralic systems. It doesn't get the air like the fluid does. If you put it in your brakes it will smell funny when the calipers heat up. Use Miracle Whip instead.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
pplassm
Founding Member

Good gawd that's disgusting.