Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 06-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
cflem1318
Registered Member

Default 1983 Spectre gas leak

Hello everyone im new here and i have just finished fixing up my first bike, a 1983 Kawasaki Spectre. Its seen some better days but i cant complain for a 150$ I have one remaining problem that i need some help on. Between the carburetors there is a transfer tube that has a small crack but drips alot of gas out of it. I tried to epoxy it but it ate threw withing 2 weeks. I've gone to a few shops around my town and they havent had any answers because it is a discontinued part. I dont know if i could fit another one in or not i cant really make a part i dont think so if nyone knows any good sites to find some old parts or any advice at all that would be a great help. Thank you

-Cflem-
cflem1318 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

What you're describing sounds like you could use standard fuel hose available at any auto parts store. Just be sure to clamp it well at both ends.

If it's a metal fuel line, you can buy a length of fuel line and a tool that will put the ends on it to mount to the fitting. It doesn't cost too much. I've also used brass and copper lines in the past with compression fittings to make custom or replacement lines as well.

Try Bikebandit.com and look the part up there, they should have it. But, don't get completely hung up on finding an exact replacement, take a good look at what the line does and get creative.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
cflem1318
Registered Member

Thank you for the advice.. haha im not that creative though. I tried looking on bike bandit but i didnt find anything. The transfer tube is a T and has o-rings on all of the ends that go into grooved spots. The top of the T is plastic and then the straight part with one opening is metal. Im wouldnt be worried if it didnt drip so much i was wondering to if its safe enough to ride its not a major leak but it drips every 2 seconds or so?
Old 06-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflem1318 View Post
Thank you for the advice.. haha im not that creative though. I tried looking on bike bandit but i didnt find anything. The transfer tube is a T and has o-rings on all of the ends that go into grooved spots. The top of the T is plastic and then the straight part with one opening is metal. Im wouldnt be worried if it didnt drip so much i was wondering to if its safe enough to ride its not a major leak but it drips every 2 seconds or so?
It'll be okay if you have a fire truck follow you.

Seriously. Do not try to run a bike that is leaking fuel. Would you do this with a car?
Old 06-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Hmm, sounds like a pretty trick part. Try Johnny's Vintage Kawasaki Restoration:

www.johnnysvintagemotorcycle.com 330.335.7365

If they don't have it, they can probably tell you who does.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Try gluing it up with JB Weld. Use the 24 hour glue not the 5 minute crap. Another good epoxy is "Sea-Going Putty". I glued a fuel tank once on a chopper and it lasted over a year.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
pplassm
Founding Member

Bikebandit lists your bike as a 1982. Verified on the Kawasaki website:

1982 Kawasaki Motorcycle Parts for 750 SPECTRE, OEM and Aftermarket at BikeBandit.com

BB part number is 92005a. Shown as discontinued. You may be able to use part number 92005 and tap off the fuel line for where ever that hose leads.

Other options are a complete bank of carbs (1970-1983 should fit) from ebay.

I'd try the JB weld options first, though. I have several repairs in fuel tanks and systems with that stuff and it holds. Get it good and dry, though, first.

Kawasaki is the worst of the big 4 for discontinued parts.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
cflem1318
Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I picked up some JB weld now its time to take the bike apart again