Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 06-27-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
rbmcveigh
Registered Member

Default 98 Suzuki Katana Carb

I have a 98 Suzuki Katana (GSXF) 600 that is having some minor issues. Before I went on vacation for a month, the bike ran great, little idle issue, but it ran nice and smooth. After sitting for a month, now it will start, but when I give it throttle, it will die. I let it warm up with the choke, but no matter if the engine is cold or hot, as soon as I touch the throttle, it stalls out. I can control the engine rpm with the choke lever. I took the carbs off, cleaned them, put them back on and synchronized them.....but as soon as I touch the throttle, it stalls out? Any ideas?
rbmcveigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmcveigh View Post
I have a 98 Suzuki Katana (GSXF) 600 that is having some minor issues. Before I went on vacation for a month, the bike ran great, little idle issue, but it ran nice and smooth. After sitting for a month, now it will start, but when I give it throttle, it will die. I let it warm up with the choke, but no matter if the engine is cold or hot, as soon as I touch the throttle, it stalls out. I can control the engine rpm with the choke lever. I took the carbs off, cleaned them, put them back on and synchronized them.....but as soon as I touch the throttle, it stalls out? Any ideas?
Your slow speed circuit is still clogged. Probably in the body. Being the smallest jet or pathway threw the carburator it requires the least amount of fuel, and consiquently the easiest to block up.
Pull em off again and make sure its clear. If your using spray make sure its exiting the body somewhere else. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
pplassm
Founding Member

Like Moke said. Pilot circuit. Clean it.

Just cleaning the bowls doesn't do a thing.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Before tearing apart the carbs, you can try the easy way first: get some Gumout in the spray can and blast it into the intake while the bike is running. It works 1 time out of 10...