Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 06-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
quetzalcoatl04
Registered Member

Default Rotten Luck

The short version is that before I even started my 03 Bonneville which I bought last month, I was trying to walk it out of my garage down the epic hill that is my driveway, and as fate would have it, the bike toppled on over. (Pardon my ignorance... maybe I was not going about this the right way at all. I'm a newbie, forgive me.) It looked like the damage wasn't too bad with the exception of the end of the clutch lever snapping off and part of the gear shift lever snapping off... at least I hope that's all that happened.

The long version is that this is just another thing to tack on to the already ridiculous resume of trying to get started riding. I've been waiting since last September (not a good time to get into the hobby if you live in the northeast). Waited out the winter until May to take the course, bought and read Proficient Motorcycling, found a used bike that I loved for a fairly decent price, went to the DMV to get it registered and get my endorsement and find out my driver's license had been suspended for 2 years for medical reasons without my knowing - so I waited another month and a half with my bike sitting pretty in my garage before I finally got it registered today. I tried to take it out and before I even start the engine I drop it. Argh! (It won't start now either, however I'm not above making a stupid mistake like the key not being turned properly or the fuel switch not being on...) It's one thing after another with this blasted situation.

So what kind of cost am I looking at here? There's a Triumph dealership/maintenance place about 20 miles away, but I don't know how to get the bike there to get worked on? Any suggestions or words of wisdom would be appreciated...

Thanks
quetzalcoatl04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
V2Rider
Premium Member

Simple fix here. If you've got allen wrenches you can take them off and replace them yourself. Not sure on the cost of a new clutch lever or shifter but I don't imagine it's much.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

What he said.

Next time, park the bike on a level surface - or lacking that; angled NOSE UP HILL and to the Left (so gravity is pulling it both over and back against the kickstand).

And if you can't do that - make sure it's in gear (motor off, of course).

Good Luck. Sounds like you need it.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I've found that flipping the bike on its back, resting like a Schwinn Stingray turned turtle works the best. It's just those slippery gas and oil spots you have to contend with.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:24 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Look at it this way, things can't get much worse. Call the dealer and they will come and get the bike. How much it will cost? Lots. Screw ups usually cost you big time in this game.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
pplassm
Founding Member

From Bikebandit:

Clutch Lever: $26.49
Shift Lever: $129.51 (OUCH!!!)

I don't see much on the aftermarket sites for those items either.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Since nobody else mentioned it specifically: don't "walk" your bike around. At least not when you're new. It's much safer to get on the bike and paddle it around with your feet. Especially on hills.

You can see some excellent training videos on bike foot-paddling by googling any Daytona Bike Week Main Street footage you can find.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

If the shifter is steel; merely banging it back in shape with a talented hammer will suffice. If any welds should crack doing-so - take it to some local Vo-Tech and get one of the kids to weld it. A bit of spray-bomb, and you're good to go.

Replace the clutch lever.

E-Z Fixes.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
quetzalcoatl04
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies and encouragement... Here are some pictures of the damage. The guy at the Triumph dealership said that if the gear shift lever needed to be totally replaced and not just bent back into position, the whole thing would cost me almost 300 plus labor and pickup. What do you think?

The mirror got a little dinged up too... it moves and I feel like it shouldn't, but I also feel like it could be fixed easily by tightening it and putting it in the right place?
quetzalcoatl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

Shee-it!

Take the clutch lever off and grind it to a nice round end. Polish it, and put it back on the bike.

Put a piece of masking tape on the clutch case, and put a Sharpie mark where the shifter lever sits. Take the shifter off, and drill out and tap the end for a 10 or 12MM bolt. If you still have the old peg, Either drill it out for the bolt to pass through, or weld a 10/12MM X 20MM bolt to it (after you cut the head off the bolt, or, just use a piece of all-thread).

If the original peg was threaded into the lever, see if you can extract the piece that was left, and then use the same thread in the above fab.

If you do not have the original peg, they are available at most any bike shop. It may not have 'Triumph' on it, but, hey! Don't buy one at a Harley shop, 'cause that one will be SAE thread.

While you have the shifter lever off, take a flat file to it, and draw file it back to 'purty'. Polish it, a coat of wax, and put it back on the bike. Align the lever to the mark on the masking tape. Do not overtighten the pinch bolt.

Won't cost beans, unless you count the 6-pack you have to pay the guy with the welder.

You can buy a new clutch lever when you stop dropping the bike.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.

Last edited by pushrod : 06-25-2009 at 05:52 PM.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote