Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 06-23-2009, 07:49 AM   #11
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I've noticed that myself, hold a dollar bill across the muffler, if it blows out everything is fine, if it sucks in you've got a defective exhaust valve.

Remove the exhaust system, remove the carburetter,intake boots and airbox, remove the cylinder head, remove engine/transmission, remove the gas tank, remove the front fork and wheel, remove the entire wiring harness being careful not to damage any connectors, remove rear wheel, fender and shocks, discard frame and license plate in large body of salt water, soak until unrecognizable. Use dollar bill to call Insurance agent and police station, fill out stolen motorcycle report. Use Insurance windafall to purchase a motorcycle that you don't have to mess with. Sell removed parts on ebay......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2009, 06:52 AM   #12
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Check the seating at the motor at the header. I used to have a old Bonni that had a crack at the top of the pipe. It would puff very little smoke out of that hole, but you could hear it when standing behind the bike.

Wouldn't the bike just end up backfiring on acceleration. One way to
diagnose an airleak.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #13
BikeRider12345
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Is this KP messing with you guys.

What is a motor- an air compressor with a purpose. Air, fuel, ignition- throttle and so it goes.

Check the seating at the motor at the header. I used to have a old Bonni that had a crack at the top of the pipe. It would puff very little smoke out of that hole, but you could hear it when standing behind the bike.
I'm not messing with anyone. So now that I got it on the road I notice that it starts back firing when I ride. So I guess the air noise was a backfire without the pop. Thanks for the help.
BikeRider12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeRider12345 View Post
I'm not messing with anyone. So now that I got it on the road I notice that it starts back firing when I ride. So I guess the air noise was a backfire without the pop. Thanks for the help.
KP is a reference to a troll who shows up here frequently and posts strange questions,etc. He often uses "rider" in his name. However the troll lives in Seattle.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #15
pushrod
Founding Member

BR12345,

I'm thinking it is a synch problem. You have one (or more) cylinder that is loading up, and a rich mixture is causing a tailpipe backfire.

The 'pop' when the bike is idling is a small version of the same backfire.

Outboard motors are very bad about this. Being two-strokes, sometimes the backfire is so stout it'll stall the motor.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #16
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I've noticed that myself, hold a dollar bill across the muffler, if it blows out everything is fine, if it sucks in you've got a defective exhaust valve.
All I've got is a Susan B.

Will that work?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #17
BikeRider12345
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
BR12345,

I'm thinking it is a synch problem. You have one (or more) cylinder that is loading up, and a rich mixture is causing a tailpipe backfire.

The 'pop' when the bike is idling is a small version of the same backfire.

Outboard motors are very bad about this. Being two-strokes, sometimes the backfire is so stout it'll stall the motor.
Well when I pulled off the cover to the air box, it has JB Weld all over it, leading me to assume it's not in the best shape. I am going to put the pods on the back, which means I will have to rejet it. Someone told me to use a dyna jet kit, is that what I should do?
BikeRider12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:44 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

It seems that we frequently get questions from people who bought a used bike from some owner who modified the airbox and/or exhaust. These mods usually make a bike run worse. If you can't rustle up the stock components you might try the pods and a Dynajet or Holeshot jet kit. Often the pods just don't work. But you can try making tubes to go between the pods and the carbs out of pvc. Sometimes inserting a tube a couple of inches long will smooth out the airflow and improve things. I had to do this on a DR400 I got cheap ($40) and was missing the airbox. It can make all the difference in the world if you are forced to use pods.