Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   '75 TS185 Crankcase Oil (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/12254-75-ts185-crankcase-oil.html)

Atlas78 06-15-2009 09:03 AM

'75 TS185 Crankcase Oil

Oil problem. The crankcase has had a leak for some time now. The plan is to fix the leak and change out the exsisting oil. However, i don't know what type i should use and what amount. Finding the spec's for it seems to be rather challenging. If anyone can help, it would be awesome!
Thanx

pplassm 06-16-2009 07:13 AM

Just about any car oil will do. Best to avoid any oil marked "Energy Conserving" or the like, as it will have additives tha may make the clutch slip.

There should be a check screw on the right side of the crankcase that will let you know when the engine is full.

mscuddy 06-16-2009 01:53 PM

Dip Stick

Your ancient 185 has something called a "dip stick" to measure the amount of oil in the transmission, not the crankcase. It's that black plastic thing that screws into the case, right behind the kick start.

Last I checked the TS185 is a two stroke, and as such uses that CCI deal to inject oil into the intake manifold, and lubricate the main bearings.

So when the oil is at the upper hash mark of the dip stick, that's enough.

And any old 30 weight of more modern 80 weight gear lube should work just fine (the new 80 weight is the viscosity of 10 weight oil , but has a shear factor of 80 weight).

Atlas78 06-16-2009 03:10 PM

I did use the wrong term. Not the crankcase, its the Transmission. But that last comment was cute. I love it when a condesending ****head has to jump in and give their bad attitude along with trying to help. I never would've thought to use the dipstick. Except that THERE ISN'T ONE!! There is a black screw cap on the kick start side, but no means of checking the level with it. I'll take a look for the check screw on the right side. I'm assuming it will be a weep hole. Thanks for the direction

mscuddy 06-16-2009 03:18 PM

Hmmm, I had '74 TS125, had a dip stick. Maybe look inside the case, through the hole, might have some marks inside there...didn't mean to call you a dip stick. My '75 TC100 had one too. Maybe your...er...dip stick fell off or got eaten up by something?

pushrod 06-16-2009 03:38 PM

Atlas78 - Calm down!

It appears you have not taken any time to peruse past threads on this strange and wonderful forum.

The regulars here are many and varied, and several of them have forgotten more about bikes than most will ever learn.

Mscuddy is a freakin' encyclopedia on bikes for the dirt.

Your initial post (if you read it) is fodder for some rather 'entertaining' responses. Kinda 'I got a bike, but I don't know what oil to use, or where, or how much!'

The couple answers you got were rather tame, for this site.

All that being said, good luck getting ol' TS Valdez back on the trail!

Atlas78 06-17-2009 03:36 AM

My apologies to Mscuddy if I took a joke out of context.

I have looked through past thread's on this site before asking the question, but didn't find to much on the TS185. Seems increasingly difficult to find any spec's on older dirt bikes. fluid types, amounts, ect. Rebuilding an engine with no info to go off of can be frustrating.

pplassm 06-17-2009 04:29 AM

You guys made me look it up.

1975 Suzuki Motorcycle Parts for TS185M, OEM and Aftermarket at BikeBandit.com

See "Crankcase cover". Part number 21, "Oil level screw". Unfortunately, poor quality image does not shot precise location. Should be on front right side, near primary drive gear.

Again, just about any oil will do. It's a two-stroke.

Yeah, I should have said "Crankcase cover", not "Crankcase".

pushrod 06-17-2009 07:31 AM

Wow!

35 years ago, they had a screw that would adjust the oil level!

I suppose it was for riding either up or down hill?