Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 06-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
dcso011006
Registered Member

Default Riley Exhaust Mod

hey i have a 2006 honda vtx1800 c and i just got a donor muffler and gutted all of the baffles from the pipe but i left the cat it at the front of the muffler. the cat is just about 6 inches of the pipes total length. i took all of the baffles out of the rest of it and cut the end open (see bareasschoppers.com exhaust mod) my thinking is that by leaving the cat in the pipe that it will help to increase the back pressure (versus having nothing) and hense not make the pipe tingy backfire. is this right or should i just knock it out as well. im not really sure what to do. i have not welded it back together yet and was wanting to see if anyone has any experience with this. also i have a stock air filter and no FI management. will this make the bike run bad or should i just weld it up and put it on and give it a whurl and then if i want cut it back open and take out that cat>?????
dcso011006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

With the stock fuel mixture, opening the pipe completely will make it real loud and will give you backfiring. Try it with the cat in. You want some more noise I guess but the rest of us hate those stinking open pipes so many cruiser riders seem to love. Maybe leaving the cat in will give you some sound without bringing out the neighbors' shotguns.

If you get enough increased airflow to affect performance it will also cause popping noises and probably backfiring. If the VTX1800 has a carb you could try a jet kit from Dynajet or Holeshot. They usually seem to have decent products.

Just try to have some mercy. There are growing political pressures to severely restrict motorcycle noise levels and people who run open pipes are enemies of the sport as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Take the cat out for it's shots and claw clipping. Then you can concentrate on putting the stock pipes back on, before you burn an exhaust valve or something. Remember, these things are running 18 to 1super lean gas/air mixtures to begin with, if you un-cork it you risk smoking something.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:26 AM   #4
pplassm
Founding Member

You should be shot for even thinking of doing this.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

Leave the stock pipe(s) on the bike, and use whats left of the gutted pipe for a flower vase or a really trick newspaper tube.

Use of the gutted pipe will probably sound like crap, and WAY too loud; and might harm your engine.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Use of the gutted pipe will probably sound like crap..."

Probably?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:37 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I've ridden a VTX1800 and it's amazingly powerful bone stock. You can do your pipes to make it louder but I'll tell you this: it ain't gonna sound like a Harley.

The VTX has an offset crankpin and won't do potato potato. In fact, nothing sounds worse than a Shadow with open pipes. It's like really loud flatulence.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

(cue standard Sarnali answer)............"Leave it stock, it'll run better, sound better and I won't throw rocks at you if you ride it past my house", Honestly that bike and every other one built for that matter was designed and tuned to run the most power and torque with the highest rate of efficiency with each componant intact. Any changes you make to the intake or exhaust system are going to have a negitive effect on that equation and result in less power and torque decreased efficiency and more noise. You're best bet is to save your time and energy in improving your riding skills and save your money for tires, oil and filters.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 06-11-2009 at 09:50 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
(cue standard Sarnali answer)............"Leave it stock, it'll run better, sound better and I won't throw rocks at you if you ride it past my house", Honestly that bike and every other one built for that matter was designed and tuned to run the most power and torque with the highest rate of efficiency with each componant intact. Any changes you make to the intake or exhaust system are going to have a negitive effect on that equasion and result in less more, decreased efficiency and more noise. You're best bet is to save your time and energy in improving your riding skills and save your money for tires, oil and filters.
You are right, but I'm done wasting my breath. I figure that if this guy at least puts a jetkit in it it'll save the valves and when he sells it the next guy can restore it back into a good running bike. You know that guy is going to make it as loud as he can no matter how many of us try to dissuade him.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Is there not like 2 or 3 people that have posted to the forum in the last month or so, looking for advice on how to make their bike NOT run like Ass because the P.O. ripped all that "smog shyte" off and put some ear-splitting ass-hole can and a sucky "performance" intake on in its stead?

And is it not giving them fits?

Does nobody ****ing read anything anymore before considering this?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote