Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 06-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default AdMore Lighting Strikes Again!

AdMore Lighting LED Lite Bar

Never bring a knife to a gunfight. That old adage has meaning to a motorcyclist: whenever we mix it up with a car, truck or other cage, we lose, and usually we lose big. One of our most vulnerable areas is our "six." A rider has a chance of avoiding a cage coming across the front or heading into their side, but from behind, we're pretty much helpless. "Cuddy," a lifetime rider and our pal here at Motorcycle.com knows this truth, he's in a wheelchair thanks to a cager who took him out by crashing into the back of his bike. Myself; February of '09 I was waiting at the same traffic light I stop at everday on my way to work, often on my bike, when a very nice lady in an SUV drove right into the back of my car. $5,000+ dollars in damage to the car, and my back still hurts. The point of all this? A rider needs every edge we can get, ATGATT, situational awareness, rider training, anything we can do to improve our odds on the street is worth doing. AdMore Lighting's new LED Lite Bar is another weapon to bring to the street, and it definitely "covers your six."

The Lite Bar isn't elegant or glamourous, it's a just a honking big LED eye-blaster that screams "LOOK AT ME, YOU CELL-PHONE BABBLING, DONUT EATING, TEXT-PAGING CAGER!!!" It has four sections of LEDs, each one of them a 3 X 6 grid. That's a whopping 72 LEDs out back! These are big LEDs too, not the tiny xmas blinkers you see on some accessory kits like this. The Lite Bar integrates the Tail Light, Brake Light, and Turn Signal function into one unit. All of the LEDs glow a steady bright red when the key goes on, and then go into an eye-searing laser mode when the brakes are activated. Turn signal mode changes the left or right outer grid of LEDs into a flashing amber color. But one of the best features is the "WAKE UP!!" mode for the brakes: the first few moments the brakes are used, the LEDs pulse rapidly, adding even more extra attention grabbing activity to the back of your bike, right when you need it most.

The Lite Bar comes as a complete kit, and was remarkably easy to install, in my case, on a K7 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom. I installed AdMore Lighting's LED light kit for my Givi sidecases shortly after I got the bike, so I was able to simply add the leads for this unit into the circuit taps for that. As you'll see in the photos, the bracket looks like it was made for my bike, easily replacing the factory license plate bracket with only two small holes drilled into the space Suzuki allocated for longer, Euro-type license plates. The job took about an hour to complete, I'd estimate another hour at the most if I hadn't had the Posi-Taps in place for the Givi LEDs. Also, this bar is perfect for use with the Eastern Beaver Adapter Harness, which plugs in between the factory harness and the tail-lamp assembly, leaving the leads you need to connect the kit.

Here's the step-by-step:

Remove the factory license bracket with a 10mm wrench or socket and a Phillip's head screwdriver. The bolt on mine was pretty tight, so instead of fighting with the soft Phillips head of the bolt, I used my handy impact driver to torque the bolts loose.

Once the bracket is removed and the tag detached, hold your tag and/or license plate frame up with the Lite Bar Bracket and mark the location for the mounting bolt holes with a sharp point. You'll see that Suzuki left a perfect elongated channel molded into the fender for you. AdMore provides two nice stainless steel bolts with nyloc nuts to mount the LED frame and your license plate. I chose to use some Kawaski bolts I had; they have a wide, black head that blends well and doesn't need a washer. A flat washer and a nyloc nut went on the back side of the fender.

Once the bracket and license plate are in place, it's time to mount the LED Lite Bar. This is really easy; AdMore molded in a capture space in the ends of the unit for the nyloc nuts; you just drop them into place, hold the bar up inside the bracket, then thread and tighten the bolt. Leave the bolts finger-tight until everything is done; you'll probably want to adjust the bar's position in the bracket as the last step.

AdMore has provided more than enough wire with the kit to thread it up into the tail section of the bike. The individual wires are encased in a heavy black insulation layer that should last for many years. There are probably a number of routes to take with the wire; you could drill a hole into the fender immediately behind where the wire exits from the Lite Bar and lead the wire up the back of the fender. In my case, I routed the wire along the Givi luggage rack and then ran it into the under-seat space without drilling any holes. There's an open space just above the muffler carrier bolt that you can use; it's the same space I use to bring the leads for the Givi LEDs lights out when the saddle bags are mounted to the bike.

Once the Lite Bar is in place and the wiring harness up inside the tail section, you're ready to connect to the bike's wires. AdMore includes a set of Posi-Taps, which are the greatest invention since the cheeseburger. Before there were Posi-Taps, an installation like this would force you to cut the factory harness to splice in the new leads. If you were really talented, you might peel back the insulator with an X-acto blade and tap in the new leads that way. With the Posi-Taps, you just stick the factory wire intact into the bottom of the tap and screw the plastic nut down, This pushes a pointed metal conductor into the wire, making the electrical connection. Then a small section of bare wire from the Lite Bar harness is fed into the top of the Posi-Tap, and another plastic nut is screwed down to make an electrical and mechanical connection. The function of each wire for the Lite Bar is indicated in the instruction sheet. For the DL1000, you can find all the tail light wires in a harness along the left-rear inside of the bike. As noted above, the Eastern Beaver wiring harness adapter kit makes the connections a plug and play operation, once that's installed all you have to do is crimp or wire-nut the leasds together.

The kit I installed was a Beta version, but it's already listed on the AdMoreLighting.com website now. Shipping begins on June 22ond '09, and the price is $139.00. I'm sure a lot of farkle addicts will want to be first in line for this new goodie. This time though, you get to tell your Significant Other that you're spending that money on an important safety feature. "For the kids, honey, for the kids."

I have some photos of the kit that I'll try to post, but lately that hasn't been working too well for me. In the meantime, here's a little Yoo Toob video the guys at AdMore did:
YouTube - AdMore Lite Bar

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Photos - Maybe

If these photos suck it's Seruzawa's fault.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01839.JPG (168.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01840.JPG (162.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01844.JPG (154.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01847.JPG (167.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01851.JPG (170.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Photos just standin' there with "x's" in their eyes, an' drawin' Flies..............

Hey! the photos suddenly showed!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 06-08-2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: astonishment something works around here..........
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Photos just standin' there with "x's" in their eyes, an' drawin' Flies..............

that's the lights airsquawck, they look like little red ex'es when they light up

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
If these photos suck it's Seruzawa's fault.
Yes it is my fault. And more things will be my fault as I continue to expand my personal control of time and space throughout all eternity. Bwahaha!
Old 06-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Ken, if you're going to post some pics, just do it the way that works: put them on some pic site (like Flickr) and then link to them in your post. That way I don't have to check out a youtube video
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Ken, unfortunately those big flashing lights might cause "target fixation" to a drunk or otherwise incapacitated driver of a car, and you get plowed under anyway.

Oh, and this Friday they are removing the titanium brace out of my spine, that's held in with 20 screws. That shouldn't cause any pain, nah. None.

Good luck with your jukebox/pinball machine/Goodyear Blimp LED thingamabob. Can't hurt.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Yes it is my fault. And more things will be my fault as I continue to expand my personal control of time and space throughout all eternity. Bwahaha!

"If only he had used his power for good instead of evil"....

Old 06-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
that's the lights airsquawck, they look like little red ex'es when they light up
But my Ex was a Blonde..............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
But my Ex was a Blonde..............
well you need the little yellow lights then.....