Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 05-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
wolfrages
Registered Member

Default V-Star 650CC help

1998 V-star Classic
ok i bought this bike back in sept of 08, am still new at using it but i'v rode it pritty much everyday so am not a newb with it

it's also my frist transportion, so i'v done the liberty of taking some things apart and putting them back togeather & cleaning it by hand.

now i'v had this problem with this bike since i bought it

650cc
Kuryakyn Hypercharger Kit
i belive it was rejetted when the hyper charger was added
Vance & Hines Cruzers Exhaust 1.75' from what i found on the net, can't find orignal info
not sure on any thing else that was added to it, engine wise

not sure what's happening, my dad says it sounds like it misfireing on anything over 1/2 throttle, but only when it semi cold or if alot of moisture is in the air, on warm days or when i'v been riding it for awhile it only dose it if i drop the throtle at high RPMS, and if i idle the throttle going down the road. like holding it at 1/2 while doing 60klm it, it will "misfire"

a few of my friends are saying it's the extuast and it needs to be larger due to the hypercharger, i'v checked the spark plugs and my dad says they look fine. this problem is driving me so mad i'm thinkin on buyin a old air filter for the damn thing.

also i whent down to a yamaha dealer and he says it's deffintle a carbation problem, he suggested cleaning my air filter, so i opend the side of the hyperchager completely, and it was still doing it

1: would removing the baffles help it?, if the extaust is too small? and would too much back presses is the problem?
2:would finding a orginal airfilter system be my only sultion?, no i can't afford 300-500$ for 2.00 - 2.50 pipes
3:if you would like i can try some stuff for you and give back results, like checking the air/fuel screws
wolfrages is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Sounds like an airleak in the exhaust somewhere. DO NOT REMOVE THE BAFFLES. Buy a tube of some silica exhaust sealant, remove the headpipes from the cylinder heads, squirt a bunch of the silica sealant in EACH HEADPIPE.

Bolt the headpipes back on the cylinder heads, start the motor. The silica will get blown out the exhaust, and on the way find the leaks, and when it hits air will harden up like cement, and plug the leak.

Same thing happened to my '82 Virago when I put straight pipes on it, the pipe junction under the motor was the culprit, had mucho air leaks. The silica solved the problem.

The size of the exhaust has nothing to do with it, or the air filter.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfrages View Post
650cc
Kuryakyn Hypercharger Kit
i belive it was rejetted when the hyper charger was added
Vance & Hines Cruzers Exhaust 1.75' from what i found on the net,

not sure what's happening, my dad says it sounds like it misfireing on anything over 1/2 throttle, but only when it semi cold or if alot of moisture is in the air, on warm days or when i'v been riding it for awhile it only dose it if i drop the throtle at high RPMS, and if i idle the throttle going down the road. like holding it at 1/2 while doing 60klm it, it will "misfire"
Don't bet on it being rejetted. By the behaviour of the bike, sounds like IF they tossed a jetkit at it, that's all they did - tossed it at it and let it install itself......... (i.e. they did a pyss-poor job of jetting)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
wolfrages
Registered Member

thanks for the quick replys

al try that silica exhaust sealant

other then that, my yamaha shop i have near here wants 300$ to fix the "cambration problem" they wonld'nt tell me extlacty what it was...they might not of know what it was
Old 05-10-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

This is why it's best to leave a bike stock. Seldom are some guys with GEDs in a garage in Tarzana able to improve on the factory engineers. Aftermarket firms lie about their "trick" stuff all the time. Calling a replacement air cleaner a "hypercharger" is kind of silly. Do you still have the stock parts? I'd return the bike to stock and see how it runs.

Not to be offensive, but the V-Star is such a low output engine with such mild cam timing that intake and exhaust mods, even if done optimumly aren't going to make much difference. Usually all these things do is screw up the mixture and worsen the performance. I know this from having "improved" bikes on my own in the past.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
wolfrages
Registered Member

no i don't have the stock parts, i baught it off a girl that already had them installed

btw i bought it for the look, not the power other wise i would of been grabin a rocket 3 lol
Old 05-11-2009, 06:11 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfrages View Post
no i don't have the stock parts, i baught it off a girl that already had them installed

btw i bought it for the look, not the power other wise i would of been grabin a rocket 3 lol
I'm betting whoever put the pipes on it hoped the Hypercharger would compensate for the lack of backpressure. Except for drag bikes on the strip, every bike needs backpressure, and it has to be set up to match the intake.

Unless you get REALLY lucky and find a tech who has put a Hyper-Charger on your bike with the same pipes, you're going to need to put the bike on a dyno and change the jets until it's right.

Another option is to guess at it and put in slightly richer jets one at a time and see if you can find the best one. Jets are fairly cheap, and it will be easy to get to access the carbs on that bike.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

The easies way to richen up those CV Carbz is to put a little washer under the cab slide's needle. Raises the needle and riches up the mix just a taste. I still think his bike has an air leak in the exhaust, that's causing the popping and wheezing.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
wolfrages
Registered Member

ok, we checked the carbs, they were spot less and pulled the spark plugs and found out they were black...one more then the other...i was turning down the fuel screws and had to readujest a few times. well i striped one and now the other one just as bad cause somin got into the screw track on it

Can the fuel/air screws be replaced???

or do i need a new carb?

Last edited by wolfrages : 05-11-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
wolfrages
Registered Member

some added info.

i had found this earlyer today.
Hypercharger Install* - 650 CCND
and it says "The idle mixture screws should be turned in (clockwise) until they seat gently. Open each idle mixture screw 3 1/2 turns (counter clockwise)"

i did this and it felt like i was drowing it in fuel...sluggish and poping hollibly

that's why i was adjusting