Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 05-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
mirx
Registered Member

Default Engine leaking gas

Hi all,
I pulled my bike out of the garage today, after a long winter.
It's an '87 Honda CBR 600.

I started it up, it took a few tries, giving it gas and trying again, but I got it running after a couple minutes. The battery was on trinkle charge all winter, so I think that helped a little.

So once I got it running, I let it sit in the driveway for a few minutes, gave it a few really good shots of gas to clean the pipes out, and such. Anyway, it was on the stand and a took a step back, and noticed it dripping on the driveway, enough to say holy $4!t, and shut the bike off.

I shut it off and cleaning up the dripping, and then carefully watched for where the dripping was coming from, because it was dripping continuously, but slower with the bike off.

This is where my knowledge of bikes goes down hill, very quickly. This is only my second summer with a bike / this bike, and I'm more a computer person, then a bike person, when it comes to mechanical skills, and such, but I love riding a motorcycle.

I'm sure it was gas and it was dripping from the bottom of the "engine". I can't really say what part, it looked like there were 4 bottom pieces that looked the same. It was dripping from the bottom part closest to me, and it looked like maybe one or two other similar looking spots along the same bottom piece.

It seems to leak more when the bike is running. Its been off for a while not, so I'll have to check if it stopped with it off.

I've got no idea what the problem is, I've ready a bunch of other random stuff by googling, but I'm not sure how much of it applies to me, which is why I'm posting my scenario. I've read things such as tapping it with something and hopping it was a float of some type, that was just stuck. I'm afraid to drive it, that I might drive it into the ground, and I don't have a truck/trailer to just run it to a shop, for a quick look.

Any help with REALLY be appreciated.
Thanks!
mirx is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

There is no way the engine is leaking gas. it is either leaking out the overflow tubes from stuck carb floats, or the gas line has cracks. Look at those two things and I think you will get your answer.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

yeah what he said. You're gonna' have to get your hands dirty I'm afraid.

First shut the petc*ck on the bottom of the gas tank. The float chamber is the square part of the bottom of the carbs. There should be a small screw at the lower corner of the side of each one, open the screws up one carb at a time, gas will run out. When it stops close the screw, you just flushed your float chambers. take a long screw driver and a hammer and G-E-N-T-L-Y tap each one, that should jar the float loose.. Look at the gas line from the gas tank and to each carburater, if it has any signs of age IE anything that doesn't look like smooth rubber you'll need to replace it. Start the bike and enjoy the smell of gas cooking off the motor and pipes, if you like it you may become a true gearhead, if not...well there's always computers, but I digress...It may take a minute for all the float chambers to fill but the bike should start right up, if gas still runs out, try tapping the float chambers again, if that doesn't work shut it off, repeat the drain and tap and try again, sooner or later whatever is holding the float open will be dislodged and you'll be set. Don't get talked into a "carb rebuild" until you've tried this a few times, 99% of the time that's all it takes.

good luck, let us know what you find.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
mirx
Registered Member

Default Pics

I went out to tap on the carbs, as suggested, and took a couple pics, since they're worth thousand words, and I can't describe what I'm seeing very well.

Here's the first thing I see, is gas dripping.

Then when I look inside, I see it dripping from a couple more places, the 2 arrows on the right. The circle is a drip. The arrows are the spots I tapped on. There's 4 of them, I can't see the 4th in the pic.
I also had another question. What's the adjuster knob that the blue arrow is pointing at?

Then when I was wiping gas off the bike, I found this o-ring that come loose from somewhere, I don't know where, but it was attached to the cloth from cleaning it off.

After that, I realized that I didn't do any of the gas draining part that was also mentioned, so that's probably at least 1 reason its still dripping gas.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-16-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The knob is for idle speed. Twist one way and it idles slower, other way makes it idle faster. Looks like you need to get those carbs out and clean them and install new gaskets. replace all the fuel lines while you are at it.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
mirx
Registered Member

Idle speed seems right, because I turned it a few times, out of curiosity and now my idle is way lower. It was cranked up to like 4000 and I was hoping it was idle, now its down to like 500.
I drained the 2 carbs on one side, since I only have 1 panel off the bike. I did it twice, and it seems to drip "less" gas, but it still drips gas. I'll try the drain and tap a couple more times tomorrow to see if it stops.

Quote:
Looks like you need to get those carbs out and clean them and install new gaskets. replace all the fuel lines while you are at it
Now it sounds like I need to take it to a garage.

Is it drivable while it's dripping gas? To get it to a garage?

Any idea how much they'll charge me?

Thanks again.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirx View Post
Is it drivable while it's dripping gas? To get it to a garage?

Any idea how much they'll charge me?

Thanks again.
Yes, but I wouldn't. I've seen bikes literally burned to the ground due to fuel leaks.

Labor is typically $75-85/hour. Plus "shop supplies". Plus parts. Plus anything else a (disreputable) Dealer can think to charge you (and probably half the reputable ones).

Do you have any friends that are mechanically-inclined that can help you with this?

I strongly advise against running this motorcycle until this has been worked-through.

Tightening the fuel-bowl screws will probably not help this leak, as typically they use shaped O-Ring to seal it to the carb body, and not a gasket.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:57 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

They are going to charge you from $450 to $600 for a carb rebuild depending on what they find. Not too appealing eh?
Old 05-17-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I would clean the carbs they look like they have been leaking since
1987. The rubber in Carbs are probably dry and cracking. Besides once you have them cleaned you'll be hitting yourself when you find out how easily avoidable this whole senario is. Those drain screws that Sarnali2 told you to drain the bowls with, is what you drain when your storing it for the winter. Obviously you'll need to turn the pet**** to the off position and either use stable in the tank or depending on how long your winters are you might beable to just fill it full with fuel.

Which makes me wonder what the inside of the tank looks like? A reputable shop should look into that as well. No reason to clean the carbs and then send debri back into them via your rusty tank.
Good luck! WOW 87 huh,... cool!
Old 05-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

What part of the county do you live in? In some places gasoline distributors are mixing 15% ethanol into the gasoline, resulting in damage to rubber/plastic parts that have been engineered to live in gasoline, but dissolve rapidly when immersed in an ethanol mix.

Mini coopers have bone the brunt of this issue for some reason, with high percentages of the cars experiencing cabon related failures and fuel rail corrosion that has resulted in the cars catching fire and/or have lost the ability to start on a cold morning.

So depending on where you live, ethanaol might be the culprit.