Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/)
-   -   Anyone know some good mods? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-mods-maintenance/11853-anyone-know-some-good-mods.html)

YZFlegend 05-09-2009 08:16 AM

Anyone know some good mods?

Hey, I just bought an 03 yzf600R as a first project bike and I'm having trouble getting started.
Anyone know any cool mods I could do to make it cooler looking or give it a few extra cc's. Any
advise is appreciated

Buzglyd 05-09-2009 08:28 AM

You're trying to pimp out an '03 yzf600?

Why don't you just ride it?

YZFlegend 05-09-2009 09:28 AM

I'm not trying to pimp it out per-say. I just like working on the bike myself and anything to up the resale value I feel would be a good investment. I mean I ride it all the time, but I really like working on it too. MAkes for good practice

The_AirHawk 05-09-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YZFlegend (Post 212889)
I'm not trying to pimp it out per-say. I just like working on the bike myself and anything to up the resale value I feel would be a good investment. I mean I ride it all the time, but I really like working on it too. MAkes for good practice

The only thing that "ups the resale value" of any motorcycle is not to fack with it. Seriously, stock bikes (as a rule) have far-better resale than ones that have been modified.

And "Investment" and "Motorcycle" should never be used in the same sentence, unless it's this one:

"I took the shat-splat of money I had left from my 401(k) Investment and blew it on a Motorcycle. A used one."

Kenneth_Moore 05-09-2009 06:25 PM

Well...adding a few extra cc's means tearing down the engine and reboring or stroking. You don't want to do that. And AirHawk is telling you straight: trick it because you want to, not because it's going to up the resale value. The best way to hold value on your bike is maintain it; both mechanically and cosmetically.

Take a ride to your neighborhood Cycle Gear shop and browse the aisles. They've got LED light kits, trick rearview mirrors, shiny colored sprockets and chains, snazzy windshields, fuzzy dice, you name it. They've got an online store too if you don't have one around.

Buzglyd 05-09-2009 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 212924)
Well...adding a few extra cc's means tearing down the engine and reboring or stroking. You don't want to do that. And AirHawk is telling you straight: trick it because you want to, not because it's going to up the resale value. The best way to hold value on your bike is maintain it; both mechanically and cosmetically.

Take a ride to your neighborhood Cycle Gear shop and browse the aisles. They've got LED light kits, trick rearview mirrors, shiny colored sprockets and chains, snazzy windshields, fuzzy dice, you name it. They've got an online store too if you don't have one around.

Klazy Ken doesn't have trick shop?

Kenneth_Moore 05-09-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 212927)
Klazy Ken doesn't have trick shop?

You have to have stuff to sell to open store. ROI on seminars much betta.

YZFlegend 05-09-2009 07:44 PM

Ok I think people are misunderstanding my post. I got a used bike for 3 grand and I'm just having fun working on it. I ride it regularly and have the tools to mess with it. I haven't tried anything major like screwing with the engine or the clutch. It's my first project bike and I'm just playing around with it.

I was just inquiring if anyone knew any diy stuff. I honestly don't care about upping the resale value as I do about learning to fix my bike.

jdvorchak 05-16-2009 12:37 AM

If you really want to just play with a bike find an old early 80's Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki etc. Over 400 cc and is mostly complete. I've bought a couple for under $300 and had a ball getting them going. Mostly what you don't want is one with the engine locked up or major pieces missing. Also look for a clear title.

Usually they need a good cleaning, oil and filter changed, maybe even new fork bushings, and the carbs cleaned. Also take everything off like the tank and seat and headlight and clean all of the electrical connections. If the paint is really bad make it a bobber or rat bike. You will have a great time and then sell it for twice what you paid or more.

I've done 3 in the past couple of years. 83 GS650 paid $200 got it running needed new stator and R/R so about another $200 and painted the tank. Got $1500 for it.

80 CM400E complete and good looking bike for $300 and it needed a battery and carbs cleaned. Haven't put it up for sale yet, still playing with it but gonna ask about $800.

85 Honda VT700 paid $700 for it and cleaned the carbs is all! Once I get the seat re-uposltered it should be worth about $1200.

I'm in the St. Louis area so your area might be different prices. But the point is there are plenty of old bikes around, craigslist etc that are fun to work on. Usually not it too bad shape and when you're done sell it and buy another one to play with.

The_AirHawk 05-16-2009 10:39 AM

jdvorchak, you're not another friend of Robb Zimdars, are you?

'Cuz you should SEE some of my friends' moto-creations...........