Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle Mods and Maintenance

Old 05-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Mr.Ice
Registered Member

Default 99 Bandit 1200 performance problem

Hi all, I would like to introduce myself. For the purpose of having a unique screen name I chose Mr.Ice. Believe me I do not think I am cool, it is just a play on my real name, which by the way is always taken. Any how I am looking for some help. I have a 99 Bandit 1200 and have owned it since new. It has 8000 miles on it and has been taken care of and is like new. It is all stock except for a Yoshimura slip on. I started the bike for the season a couple weeks ago and it ran great. I rode it for about 5 miles and it ran well through its entire range. Unfortunately I had family obligations and had to park it. The next time I took it out was about a week later and seemed to run well enough but when I tried to get the engine over 2500-3000 RPM it completely shut down until I completely let off the throttle and babied it back to life. I found the choke slightly on and turned it completely off and thought that was it. Not so, it continued for the 4 mile ride back to my house. I took the Bike to a local shop (Yamaha, I know but it was close enough for me to ride it there) and without even looking at it they wanted to tear the carbs off and clean them for $570. I decided I would do them since I did them once before and it was tooooo much to spend. I was not convinced it was to problem either. The bike was parked for the winter but I did use stabilizer in the fuel and it was just running great. I decided to pull the plugs. They were all covered with carbon.I put in new plugs. Now it runs a little better.I can get to around 3500-4000 RPM but then the same happens. Pulled the plugs again and all covered with carbon. Oh yeah it has black smoke when it is stalling out. Seems like a rich condition to me rather than blocked carbs. Can blocked carbs cause the carbon on the plugs? I am thinking it is ignition related, like maybe weak spark. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I would like to avoid pulling the carbs if I don't need to.

Mr.Ice
Mr.Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
jdvorchak
Registered Member

I am not familiar with your bike but it could be some critter has climbed up into the air box and made a nest for the winter. A rich condition like you describe would have me looking at the air cleaner(s) to make sure they are not clogged or there is something floating around in there like a mouse nest or foreign object that only blocks the air flow when bounced around a little.

Second place to look is the carb overflow. The needles could be stuck and flooding the carbs but that would show itself before you got to 3000 rpm.

Let us know what you find.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:21 AM   #3
Mr.Ice
Registered Member

Default Thanks

Thanks jdvorchak. That sound like a great place to check. I will let you know what I find.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Ice, Ice Baby, why don't you take a look-see at dem carborundums. Sounds like something got stuck in the needle jets, and is overflowing gazoline into the motor, making for an extremley over-rich condiiton.

That, or like the previous post relayed, weasels have nested in your airbox. Weasles ripped my flesh.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
Mr.Ice
Registered Member

mscuddy, Thanks. As soon as I get the time its what I'm gonna do.